StarOffice 7

theodor 20:56 12 Nov 2003

Anyone used Sun's StarOffice 7 office suite? Is it any good?

misters 20:57 12 Nov 2003

Its ok not great but ok.

Belatucadrus 21:03 12 Nov 2003

Openoffice is pretty much the same and free click here The only thing I'm not really sold on is the spreadsheet. Nothing wrong with it, but after learning on Excel & 123 it has a few quirks.

Daedrus 21:04 12 Nov 2003

It depends on what you are accustom to using. I have been using Star Office 7 on my Linux system and it is great. It has almost all of the word processor and spreadsheet capabilities that you would need for an everyday user.

TommyRed 21:31 12 Nov 2003

I used it for months when MS Word went 'walkabout', when Word returned I changed back because that was what I was used to. Kept Star Office as my backup in case any of the MS Office programs decide to go 'walkabout'. No complaints about it though. HTH TR

Pesala 21:50 12 Nov 2003

Try Wordpad with a Macro keyboard enhancer. That's fine for most wordprocessing tasks. For anything more complex, use a DTP program like Serif Page Plus. Star Office and Open Office are both fine programs, but I only ever use them if people send me Word documents that I cannot open in Wordpad, or if I need to produce Unicode documents.

Spreadsheets? Page Plus includes a basic table function. Good enough for invoices etc.

Graphics? Page Plus is far more flexible

PDF Files? Publish to PDF from Page Plus

Presentations? Do it with HTML in Page Plus.

Mail Merge? Better stick with Word or Star Office, Page Plus is weaker than MS Works in that area. I still use WordPerfect if I need to do a mail merge.

Just my 2 ¢

theodor 22:04 12 Nov 2003

Thanks everyone for your feedback

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017