Stardownloader - beware!

Morz 20:38 07 Jan 2006

for what it's worth & as a word to the unwary ....

Bit of spyware in this - so the man in the repair shop told me after I'd put PC in dock due IE not working right - not changing to next page.

He said it was due to SDIENT.DLL and cleared prob by uninstalling prog.

Anyone else had this?

Big Elf 20:50 07 Jan 2006

Star Downloader Free version 1.43, rubbish. I've used this for over a year and not had any problems. MS Antisypware, AdAware and Spybot have never detected a problem with this software and neither have i been infected with spyware, virii or anything nasty.

Talking out of his ................

ACOLYTE 21:25 07 Jan 2006

I cant comment 1 way or the other as i have never used this app,if its a download helper and it sounds like it is would go for this click here no spyware or anything else included best i have ever used.

GuZ><0r 21:30 07 Jan 2006

What do the download helpers actually do?

GuZ><0r 21:31 07 Jan 2006

Don't worry anymore. I read it.

ACOLYTE 21:33 07 Jan 2006

They help if you have a big file to dload and you cant finish it off in one go,you can carry on from where you left off and dload from more than 1 source,and not start again from the start,maybe they are better for dial up users but they can help BB users too.

Big Elf 21:36 07 Jan 2006

Star Downloader is completely safe to use.

Big Elf 21:38 07 Jan 2006

From click here

Morz 21:56 07 Jan 2006

Big Elf - Not so adament please I am quoting the man who fixed the prob - Starshite dumped prob gone.
Like you I've used it for long enough - for last 5 years, but, differently, I'm also prepared to listen & learn

Big Elf 21:57 07 Jan 2006

So am I. I'm happy it's safe to use.

Big Elf 22:36 07 Jan 2006

I don't have a dll on my PC with anything resembling something like SDIENT.DLL

An unqualified response like this passed on second hand from a 'man in a repair shop' who is not necessarily an 'expert' could put off people from using a perfectly respectable bit of software.

The phrasing on the few hits I got on Google suggest SDIENT.DLL was included in spam/infected emails related to ebay. Maybe opening infected an email caused the problem?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires