Star Office 8

Pinelea 17:53 06 Nov 2005

As a dedicated Lotus SmartSuite user, I find Star Office 5 a useful complement for thioose who use the microsoft productsv as attachments.

I'm persuaded that the latest version, 8, will be even more helpful, but I can't download the full file; it always stops, as if complete, but at about half way. Meanwhile, Sun congratulated me in an e-mail saying it's all done!

At a fourth attempt, to "run" rather than "save", the file went to completion, and then told me it was corrupt.

Has anyone a clue about what to do next. I am not trying to download the paid-for version, but rather the "freebie"

Ralph P Smith

GaT7 18:41 06 Nov 2005

Some possible solutions:

- Try downloading with the help of the Sun Download Manager click here.

- The server may be down - try another time/day.

- Could you tell us the name of the download file? We can look for alternative download servers/links.

- Someone with unlimited broadband could download the file, burn it on a disk & send it to you in the post. G

Pinelea 10:16 07 Nov 2005

Crossbow7

Thanks for your posting.

I tried Sun Download Manager but couldn't make head or tail of it. Must have a mental block or a series of senior moments - it just didn't make sense on-screen.

I tried five or six times over a couple of weeks, so doubted the server being down - and what about the time I had a full-size download, only for the display to be "file corrupt"?

The offer to look for another route to download it would be appeciated, the file name is :-

so-8-eval-bin-windows-en-US.exe;

from memory it's about 140Mbyte

Looking forward to your help.

By the way, has anyone a view on the usefulness of this new version?

Belatucadrus 11:19 07 Nov 2005

The file "so-8-eval-bin-windows-en-US.exe" is only a 90 day evaluation, if you want the free version, you need OpenOffice from click here no limitations on that one.

HondaMan 11:43 07 Nov 2005

If you will alow me to use the envelope, I will send you a copy of the download by email

Carbonara 11:46 07 Nov 2005

140Mb,I don't think so!

Pinelea 18:10 07 Nov 2005

I've successfully downloaded and installed Sun Office 2.0, and it appears to do all I want.

Still puzzled why I couldn't make use of Star Office in its latest form; I guess I'll delete Star Office 5.0 now.

Still attached to Lotus SmartSuite for everyday use, though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?