Standby and Hibernate

pienter 19:48 13 Nov 2006

My daughter and I have both recently bought new computers loaded with Windows XP, in her case Media Centre 2005 and in my case Home Edition. When she presses Start/Turn Off she gets three icons with the option on Standby of pressing Shift at the same time to get Hibernate. In my case there are four icons, one of which is Hibernate. However a significant difference is the performance of Standby. In her case everything seems to shut down after a few moments, including the hard drive, and pressing any key brings her back directly to where she was when she shut down. In my case the hard disk sounds as if it continues to run indefinitely and pressing a key brings up the logon screen. Hibernate, on the other hand, does appear to shut everything down, but needs the Start button to be pressed to reactivate the system and even then it brings up the logon screen.

Are there reasons for the different performances and what should be the 'correct' results of choosing Standby and Hibernate?

LastChip 22:01 13 Nov 2006

All that has happened is each of your computers has been configured slightly differently by their respective manufacturers.

The settings for Standby can be adjusted in Control Panel; Power Options.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?