Standard VGA for OEM XP and Nvidia graphics

filr 21:12 29 Nov 2004

I need to install the standard VGA driver so that I can fit an Nvidia Gforce PCI card instead of the on board graphics card but my OEM XP disc does not include one. It only has the driver for the onboard Intel graphics. Where can I get the standard VGA driver without buying a full version of XP

Caså 21:40 29 Nov 2004

The full XP is no different.Go to Nvidia web site & get drivers for your G/card.

stalion 21:43 29 Nov 2004
  Rtus 21:48 29 Nov 2004

click here
note your graphics card model numbers first ..you will probably need to enter bios to deselect the OB graphics (could also be jumpers on MOBO)before installing New card & drivers.. Check mobo manual first

Mikè 22:10 29 Nov 2004
  filr 00:06 30 Nov 2004

I have the Nvidia drivers disc, and can disable the onboard in Bios but what I need to do (according to the install instructions) is to install the card then at the "install new hardware" wizard, let XP install the "Standard VGA driver" but this is not on my system or on the OEM XP retore disc, all I have is the Intel driver for the onboard graphics

Rtus 09:53 30 Nov 2004

Place the Graphics card in the slot after disabling the OB graphics one boot up & cancel any request for drivers .it should then default to STD VGA setting.at this point place new Graphics card cdrom into drive & let it auto run. if it doesnt auto /search for the relevant install/setup file (read-me txt should tell you which exact file to use)One other Item may have to be altered in bios (depends if entries are there or not (in advanced bios settings))= VGA Boot from AGP/PCI choose correct item & save > Exit

PsiFox 11:30 30 Nov 2004

AS RTUS said standard vga driver will load. There is a strong chance as it is a PCI (older card) that the XP disc will also have a driver set for the card too.

PsiFox

filr 17:40 30 Nov 2004

Thanks for the comments, however, STD VGA is exactly what my OEM XP setup does not have, it defaults back to the onboard even though it is disabled in BIOS.

filr 22:16 03 Dec 2004

48 hours after I put this question to the graphic cards manufacturer (PNY)they Emailed a reply with an alternative installation routine.
1 Disable card in BIOS
2 Boot in safe mode
3 Disable on board card in Device Manager
4 Use the install disc.

Sorted

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?