Standard VGA Graphics Adapter cannot start (Code 10)

Graphicool1 16:01 08 Dec 2013

Windows 7 32bit

A few months ago I updated my Nvidia GeForce GT 240 Graphics Card, for an Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 650Ti Boost. Right from the start it was a nightmare. It centered around duff Nvidia drivers. I initially put in the ones on the disc that came with the card...Blue Screen. So I updated the drivers to the latest from their website...Blue Screen. Then I tried all the drivers in between, but the out come was the same. When I looked to see what it was loading, it wasn't just the driver but a whole load of other stuff that I didn't feel was neccessary or might cause conflicts. It is a Graphics Card but it also wants to instal Sound drivers and 3D etc.

So when, eventually I could only boot into Safe Mode I decided to only load the items I felt were neccessary for me. They were the graphics driver and Physics. I was nolonger getting a BSOD, however, what I am now getting is the monitor switching to a black screen standby. Although the PC is still on and running unseen. When it reaches this stage my only option is to switch off the PC and attempt to switch it on again. So now everytime I try to mess with it, my PC won't start without me having to do a system re-image.

I have discovered that the problem lays with the 'Standard VGA Graphics Adapter', which in 'Device Manager' shows as having an exclamation mark and says "This device cannot start (Code 10)". I've tried trying to update the driver, but the monitor just switches to stand by and I have to reimage again.

Does anyone have any idea what is happening here and what I can do about it?

Jollyjohn 17:18 08 Dec 2013

Have you tried going back to your GT 240 gfx card?

Graphicool1 17:30 08 Dec 2013

Hi Jollyjohn

Yes I have, when the new card started Blue screening. But sadly that too blue screens now as well. So I changed it back again. However since the monitor started going to standby the blue screens have stopped. It's a catch 22

rdave13 17:46 08 Dec 2013

Surely the 'Standard VGA Graphics Adapter' is the vga chip on the motherboard and a different connection to your 'card'? If so remove the graphics card and boot up to the onboard chip. Uninstall all the NVidia drivers in programs and features then install your latest driver from here. Shut down the PC and physically install the GTX 650Ti. Hopefully that should work. Had a similar problem with a new motherboard and that worked for me.

Graphicool1 18:35 08 Dec 2013

Hi rdave13

That certainly sounds like you could be onto a winner. There's just one small thing in your narration, that makes me feel just a tad disconcerted...

"... the vga chip on the motherboard and a different connection to your 'card'? If so..."

It's the 'if so' bit that makes me feel uneasy with your hypothesis. How, or is there a way that I can know so, before I jump into the darkness. Or was that just a figure of speech on your part?

bumpkin 18:59 08 Dec 2013

If you think it is driver related this may be worth a try click here

rdave13 19:29 08 Dec 2013

you will have two connection for the monitor, one on the dedicated card and one on the motherboard.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:36 08 Dec 2013

You could always try a system restore to a date before you loaded the new drivers.

Graphicool1 13:19 09 Dec 2013

Hi bumpkin

Your link was very interesting, from where it took me I followed another link to a page entitled...'How To Fix Error Code 10'. Which would seem (from the title) to be bang on the money. I thought I might check it out later after I initially try some of the suggested (potentially) easier options first.

rdave13

"you will have two connections for the monitor, one on the dedicated card and one on the motherboard."

When you say..."you will have"...do you mean I should already have? Because I only have ever had one plug connected to the PC from the Monitor and that is to the mobo. The other is to the mains?

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/\

"...try a system restore..."

Yes I agree, this would normally be the way to go. However, my 'System Restore' hasn't restored for at least a year. It shows the restore points and goes through the restoring process, but doesn't actually restore anything. It just says it was unable to restore, because it could find the file where they are kept? Then it tells me I should try another restore point. But it just doesn't happen, it's odd really, because this ceased I recently decided to try re-imaging instead and both my Restore Points and the Re-Images are saved to the same internal drive. Although, the re-images work, unfortunately I didn't start saving them until after I'd installed my graphics card. Such is Life.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:02 09 Dec 2013

I would have thought the standard vga graphics was for the integrated graphics on the cpu / board

do you have a driver CD for the motherboard?

What motherboard /cpu /chipset?

lotvic 15:08 09 Dec 2013

"you will have two connections for the monitor, one on the dedicated card and one on the motherboard."

If your motherboard has onboard graphics there will be a vga socket port for you to plug your lead into. So you will have two vga sockets/ports on the back of your pc, one on the dedicated card and one on the motherboard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review

How to draw a mandala

iPhone X review

Musique en streaming : Spotify vs Deezer