Standard freeview box to PC???

JCharity 15:04 12 Aug 2006

I've got a standard Alba freeview box, with SCART output.
I want to hook it up to my Media centre PC but discovered it doesn't have a SCART slot in the back. Doh! and also- why the hell not!?

Anyway my freeview box DOES have a digital coaxial output, i remember reading somewhere that this can be used this instead of a SCART somehow? Is this true?

On my PC, I have S video and the yellow video composite inputs at the front + a 1394 socket. I also have a tv aerial input at the back along with with another video in. It's a HP Pavillion m1000 model. Any ideas on what i need to hook it up? Please help!! Many thanks, Jules.

Jimmy14 15:36 12 Aug 2006

I've also had this problem and found that if you buy a scart lead with composite video on the other end. The scart side of the lead plugs in to the freeview box and the composite video side (yellow) plugs into the back of your base unit (TV Card) These can be picked up from Tesco for £5 I think, That's where I bought it from Tesco.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:56 12 Aug 2006

I assume then that your Media centre PC does not have a digital video card?

You could use the RF lop through, cable from Main aerial to freeview box, aerial cable from freeview box to PC, then tune the PCs TV card to the freeview output channel.

Stuartli 16:12 12 Aug 2006

Quite simply because computer components use different types of connections for this purpose.

The yellow (coded) plug that Jimmy14 mentions is an RCA plug and audio is (normally) added using 3.5mm audio jackplugs.

Try comparing one of your Scart lead plug's overall size with that of the back plate of a graphics or PCI TV card...:-))

If you wish to find out more about Scart and other leads go to:

click here

click here

RCA and S-Video:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?