Stand-by Times

aitch2 12:28 16 Jul 2008

Running WinXP-SP3, which sometimes takes a good 4-5 minutes to start up from switch on. How safe/ sensible/ length of time, is it possible to leave the computer in stand-by mode? Could I leave it overnight so I have a quick start when it's next used?
Thanks
Aitch

nosharpe 12:33 16 Jul 2008

You waste electricity when you leave your PC on overnight.
What specs does your PC have?

aitch2 12:45 16 Jul 2008

Currently, Athlon 1.8. 512Mb, Asus motherboard, 240HDD+peripherals, and using AVG8, Ad-ware and Spyware doctor (occasionally) plus firewalls for netgear router and windows. Have minimised my start-up items and Norton has long since gone as it was even longer start up with that installed.

I am Spartacus 13:11 16 Jul 2008

You will probably use about the same amount of power hibernating as you do if you switch off but leave it plugged in.

ambra4 13:14 16 Jul 2008

Using Microsoft OS there is a 30 second delay build in to XP and Vista to allow you to select the

OS that you want to use if you have a dual boot system

In XP you can deselect the delay if you only using one OS not sure in Vista if the same method

apply

To remove 30 second delay in Windows XP

Right click – My Computer – Properties – Click Advanced Tab – Click Setting in the Start UP and

Recovery Section – Untick Time to Display Operating System

This will remove the 30-second delay

To also improve the performance of the computer and remove Microsoft Visual Effects which only

make the display wallpaper look pretty

In the Performance section click Setting and “Select Adjust For Best Performance”

All these unnecessary setting also slow down the boot up time

It would also help if you increase you memory from 512Mb to 1Gb

aitch2 13:36 16 Jul 2008

Thanks for the info, a lot of it i didn't know or realise. I will not be increasing the memory as of yet as I intend replacing the computer in a couple of year time, probably about the same time as Win7 hits the market and will upgrade memory then. Will try the suggestions to see what effect it has, thanks,
Aitch

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone