Stand alone printer on network

GM 15:30 06 May 2007

I have a HP deskjet 6840 printer that I would like to connect to my network so that I do not need to have a computer connected to the printer to print from another computer on the network. We have a netgear wired/wireless router which is the centre of the network to which the printer is connected by ethernet cable. Can this pinter be a device on the network that any computer can pick up so long as the printer is on, without another computer connected to it?

phono 15:36 06 May 2007

As long as it has a LAN connection it can indeed be used ay you say, otherwise you would need to connect it to a print server which was connected to the LAN.

phono 15:41 06 May 2007

Did a quick Google, it appears your printer can be connected via cable or wirelessly to a LAN, is that the case?

If so it will work as you stated as long as it is left switched on.

GM 16:19 06 May 2007

I do have the printer connected to the network via an ethernet cable but at the moment I cannot see it in the network devices although it will print from one of the computers that it was originally set up from. is there something else I need to do or am I missing something?

phono 16:45 06 May 2007

Try running the printer setup on the other networked PC, I believe that the printer will not show up in the network see click here

Support available at click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?