Stalling at partial display of desktop?

Diemmess 09:11 01 Dec 2009

Having no time to mess about I recovered by using a six day old Acronis backup of C:
I keep data on D: so nothing bar the most recent lists of files opened, was lost.

Trouble started on booting, all normal screens displayed unitl the various icons began to populate the desktop
With only a few showing the computer stopped doing anything, but a reboot allowed the process to complete.

Then one morning a day or two later I realised I was stuck. Rebooting made no difference!
Neither would the options from F8 process, though Safe Mode was there.

I use XP Pro and Office 2007 Pro.

I wonder if some Windows update clashed? I seemed to have updates every day or so about a week ago?

I have not installed any since resurrecting things, because I had some urgent work which had to be ready by yesterday.

Will see how today goes and then after another backup, install the waiting pile of updates.

Anyone had something similar recently and how did they clear it?

howard64 09:33 01 Dec 2009

I had 3 hard drives replaced under warranty which all gave the above symptoms. Since putting in the last replacement [fingers crossed] no further problems.

Diemmess 16:01 04 Dec 2009

As a closure:
History repeated the next morning even with the restored image of C:
Stalled just before Task Bar but loaded normally after pressing the reboot button.

Being a belt and braces sort of person, I took the awful hint from you howard64 and having bought a new HD (same capacity and so cheap), cloned each partition then - checked it booted properly.

No problem nor any since with the original HD back in place.

Odd but not unknown to Windows installations

Advantage of what I did is that I have a ready system replacement if the old Seagate is twitching
all I must do is batch copy the new data as I do now and make an Acronis image of C: every week or so.

Afterthought
I turn everything off at night.
I turn the router on before anything else and it stays on 'till bedtime.
Though I usually turn the PC off if I am going to be out for a couple of hours, but the freezing occurs only at first boot in the morning.

howard64 11:18 05 Dec 2009

glad things worked out - I turn everything off including the router if I am going to be away from the pc for more than an hour.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?