STALKER + VISTA + NvIDIA 8800 = NO GAME!

ZootHornRollo 21:14 24 Mar 2007

I HAVE BOUGHT THIS GAME TODAY AND IT REFUSES TO PLAY. I HAVE A BRAND NEW VISTA PC WITH INTEL 6600 DUAL CORE PROCESSORS, 2Gb RAM AND NVIDIA 8800GTX GRAPHICS CARD SO IT IS WELL IN EXCESS OF EVEN THE RECOMMENDED SPEC.

THE GAME INSTALLS AND THEN WHEN I TRY TO START A GAME GOES SO FAR IN SETTING THE GAME UP, PRE-FETCHING OBJECTS, GEOMETRY ETC. IT THEN STALLS AT THE POINT WHERE THE SCREEN STATES “CLIENT : SYNCHRONIZING”.

IT THEN SAYS IT HAS CRASHED AND SENDS A BUG REPORT TO THE MAKERS PRESUMABLY.

MY PC ALSO STATES THAT A DRIVER HAS STOPPED WORKING BUT THEN RECOVERED

I HAVE RESTATRTED MY MACHINE AND TRIED TO RUN THE GAME TWICE. ON BOTH OCCASIONS THE ABOVE HAS HAPPENED

I HAVE READ THAT THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THIS GAME RUNNING ON VISTA -IS THIS IS TRUE?
IS ANYONE ELSE HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM ?
MORE IMPORTANTLY IS THERE A WAY AROUND IT?

[email protected] 21:20 24 Mar 2007

i have 27 games on my pc they dont work with vista all under 12 months old, have now reloaded xp till they sort this out, best advice is keep checking gamershells for vista patches, but i had major problems with supreme commander which is meant to be vista ready, a lot of the problems, i believe are driver related
click here

VoG II 21:25 24 Mar 2007

Probably unconnected but your SHOUTING BUTTON seems to be stuck.

bennyhillslovechild 21:34 24 Mar 2007

I have this game, and it works fine for me under Vista Home Premium. I too have the E6600 processor and 2gb ram, but I have the slightly inferior Ati Radeon x1950pro graphics card. I have no problems with playing this game at max detail, so am unwilling to attribute your problem entirely to Vista. I presume you're running the latest drivers for your graphics card, other than that, I'm not sure what to suggest, try turning off any unimportant programs before you load (obviously leave your anti-virus running if you're gonna stay connected to 'tinterweb) in case it's a software conflict.

ZootHornRollo 21:36 24 Mar 2007

I have now played about 4 or 5 games on Vista and STALKER is the only one I've had real problems with.

I'll watch for patches as you suggest adman

VoG - great comment - very helpful - thanks

bennyhillslovechild 21:36 24 Mar 2007

That link was rather handy, I'm bookmarking that, saves me trawling round the various game developer's sites for game patches! Cheers.

[email protected] 21:41 24 Mar 2007

courtsey of sierra (F.E.A.R.) they told me they and many others including blizzard put all their patches on there first and foremost.
zoothornrollo, i think its an nvidia problem, if you go on any gaming forum the ati cards seem to have a lot less problem posts!
i have a 7600gt

bennyhillslovechild 21:46 24 Mar 2007

As a quick aside (sorry Zoot, didn't want to threadjack) - Having finally got into the PC gaming buzz, now I have a machine capable of playing these games, I picked up F.E.A.R yesterday and it's looking pretty good. Can I just download the latest patch, or do I have to install them in order?

ZootHornRollo 21:48 24 Mar 2007

Most patches over-ride previous ones so just go for the latest

bennyhillslovechild 21:51 24 Mar 2007

Cheers Zoot.

[email protected] 21:52 24 Mar 2007

in order, sadly! if you do the latest first you get a message "no compatible file" or something similar, possibly not best at this time if you download when area (uk) is green it wont take long, just download then double click the gamershell logo and will find your game and update automatically
adam

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?