stack fault message, Win 98

Florio 20:00 17 Jul 2008

I while ago I wrote asking about installing games onto an old computer (with OS Windows 98 and no internet connection) for my six year old son.
I've now managed to find a few games which are perfect for a kid his age (i.e. finding hidden objects etc) and can be played without problems on Win 98. I saved them onto a CD, checked that they worked properly, and then installed them onto the old computer. But none of them will open!! I immediately get the message:
"This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. If the problem persists, please contact the program vendor.
NAME OF GAME has caused a stack fault in module SHDOCVW.DLL at 0177.70f5edfe ..."
Does anyone know if it is possible to fix this problem?
Florio

ronalddonald 20:05 17 Jul 2008

are the games, not all games are compatible with an operatind systme like windows 98. The box that came with the game should tell if they are compatible.

Florio 20:15 17 Jul 2008

I actually downloaded these games from internet after checking that they were compatible with win 98 (i.e. in the 'requirements' description). I don't think they are all that old. They should be trial versions, with a 60 min. time limit, after which, if my son likes them, I'll purchase them online.

brundle 20:30 17 Jul 2008

Some things to look through; click here

One suggestion is to check the swap file is not set to read-only.

click here

ronalddonald 20:38 17 Jul 2008

Could you please tell me the website address as i could downlaod something for my daughter if its good

Florio 20:56 17 Jul 2008

Ronald, the website address is click here.

Thanks for the link, Brundle. That particular page doesn't actually include my stack fault error message, and the extra link given there doesn't work. Where can I check that the swap file (don't really understand what it is!!) is not set to read only?

brundle 21:14 17 Jul 2008

The second link gives instructions for checking the swap file

woodchip 21:43 17 Jul 2008

Go to C:\Windows and double click on Config.txt

Read it for all the help you need to know

woodchip 21:46 17 Jul 2008

Sample from the text of that file

STACKS/STACKSHIGH
=================

This command supports the dynamic use of data stacks to handle
hardware interrupts. Use the STACKSHIGH command to load the
stacks in the upper memory area. You can use these commands
only in your Config.sys file.

Syntax

STACKS=n,s
STACKSHIGH=n,s

Parameters

n
Specifies the number of stacks. Valid values for
n are 0 and numbers in the range 8 through 64.

s
Specifies the size (in bytes) of each stack.
Valid values for s are 0 and numbers in the range
32 through 512.

woodchip 21:52 17 Jul 2008

There are other txt files in C:\Windows Folder

Florio 07:12 18 Jul 2008

Thanks for the info woodchip; I'll check this out later today.
Just out of interest, I found one of the games I couldn't open on another website, downloaded it and installed it on the old computer and it opened immediately! Same game, same version!! This was just an experiment, since I'm already a client of gamehouse.com and get my games through them. But it would seem to prove that something extra must be included in their 'packaging'. Any ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?