stability testing.

Epirb406 18:19 08 Feb 2004

Hi Folks.

I am just about to build a PC for my father.

The bits and bobs are all very much last generation, my cast offs.

This is not a problem as he doesn't want to do anything to extreme with the computer.

Stability is the MOST important thing.

After it is built is there a freebie that I can get that will spend 24 hours putting the systen though circuits and bumps to find any weak spots?

Support is going to be tricky as he lives 200 miles away and is not PC literate, therefore I would like it to be as stable as possible before I hand it over.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers, Epirb.

(wasn't until writing this I realised how accepting I was of my frequent crashes, due mostly to my fiddling!)

Epirb406 19:42 08 Feb 2004

@

frazky 21:21 08 Feb 2004
  woodchip 21:32 08 Feb 2004

Your best bet is build it and just try it. Do not run Programs that stress old components. You will find problems early enough when they fail.

Djohn 21:33 08 Feb 2004

click here have a look at the sys. mark 2001 version which will be more suitable for the system you have built, rather than the latest version. You can leave it running in "Loop" for 24 hours. It will test the system stability out nicely for you. j.

Epirb406 22:22 08 Feb 2004

Think that the future mark progs may be my best bet, will have to do my reading (again!)

Will give it a go and let you know, Cheers,

Epirb.

JerryJay 23:01 08 Feb 2004

I have used all versions of Windows and found most stable one is Win2K.

Epirb406 18:33 07 Mar 2004

to get round to following this up!

At least the PC is built now and with only minor probs!

Wondered if anyone had any further suggestions.....

I am loath to install trial software as cleaning up afterwards can be a pain, especially since I am trying to keep this installation simple and unsullied.

As for sys mark 2001, unless I'm reading it wrong, thats $200!!!!

If noone can suggest an app what circuits and bumps would you put a new PC through before handing it over to a new owner?

Remember, this must make his life easier, not more complicated, I am going to have enough trouble explaining virus updates!

Cheers all, Epirb.

Rayuk 18:38 07 Mar 2004

You can use Prime95
click here
Just leave it running for as long as possible

Epirb406 18:55 07 Mar 2004

Think you maybe taking me down a bit of a dark alley here ray....

Was after something that tested the stability of windows on this particular machne..

Any ideas peeps?

Cheers, Epirb.

slimbo51 19:03 07 Mar 2004

After I've built a system for somebody, I just run an endless loop test for a couple of hours.

It loads the system to 100% performance.

If it runs this ok, I can be fairly sure its a winner.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?