SSD Harddrives

gengiscant 10:59 14 Nov 2010

Looking to buy a 64GB can anyone point me in the direction of a good review site on the above?

bremner 11:00 14 Nov 2010

Always a good place to start click here

AL47 17:15 14 Nov 2010

atm ocz vertex 2 and corsair c300 are the 2 best bets

the corsair if you dont write to it, it has very fast read speeds

john bunyan 17:33 14 Nov 2010

I am interested in your conclusions as I am thinking of a custom or self build early next year, and have in mind a SSD as the OS disc, plus one or more SATA's for data.

gengiscant 17:46 14 Nov 2010

I have decided on the OCZ (below) as I have asked the question on a decent SSD, on a couple of other forums,and Vertex 2 has come up more often than any other as a recommendation.
I will add if you decide on the C300 you will need a SATA 3 MOBO or a Highpoint Rocket 620 (R620) a SATA 3 control card
click here

john bunyan 19:05 14 Nov 2010

Thanks - good luck with it!

Jameslayer 20:09 14 Nov 2010

So looking at the diffrnce between ssd and normal ones. If i understand correctly the advantages of a ssd are:
1-Quicker to acces data on them.
2-More reliable
3-generates less heat
4-quieter

cons
1-more expensive
2-slower rite times
3-more expenisve
4-will not last as long before needing replacing

Im also considering a new HD when i work out whats wrong with my comp currently.

Jameslayer 20:10 14 Nov 2010

So looking at the diffrnce between ssd and normal ones. If i understand correctly the advantages of a ssd are:
1-Quicker to acces data on them.
2-More reliable
3-generates less heat
4-quieter

cons
1-more expensive
2-slower rite times
3-more expenisve
4-will not last as long before needing replacing

Im also considering a new HD when i work out whats wrong with my comp currently.

KremmenUK 07:15 15 Nov 2010

Con No 4 is accurate.

A colleague has one and after just a few months it is reporting as being only 75% healthy.

Jameslayer 14:36 15 Nov 2010

Worth nowing think I will stay with a normal hdd for now.

Ashrich 17:59 15 Nov 2010

Any SSD hard drive anyone buys really must support TRIM (the cheaper ones almost certainly don't), so you can totally blank the space left on the disk rather than mark it as available click here for a better explanation

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?