squeezing most from Dell Dimension 4550

Muergo 01:08 27 Jul 2009

I have or am in the process of upgrading this PC to 1Gb memory (max) and 4550 graphics card, what more do I need to do so I can run my cheap Windows 7 in October?
I have enough hard drive capacity as all my many photos are moved to an external hard drive, so only use C Drive for running usual tasks.
I don't do any gaming at all.
I ran and printed out a 160 page report on it from heavens knows where, I just left it to spew out all the info.
What specific parameters should I home in on and what target values are required when I buy the bundle.

ambra4 04:56 27 Jul 2009

The biggest problem that you will have to upgrade the Dell Dimension 4550 from

Windows XP to Windows 7 would be the Windows 7 Drivers as the 4550 was sold

before Vista was released

Windows 7 OS is base around Vista

1GB of memory is the minimum amount for Windows 7 so you could find that the

computer is running slow and some of the hardware not working

Dell Dimension 4550 Drivers Downloads Vista not listed

click here

Personal I would do a dual boot system XP & Windows 7 run for a few months and see if

all the software an hardware you want to install is working before you change totally to

Windows 7

How to Dual Boot Windows 7 with XP

click here

Take a read at these sites it will help to get you started using win7

Windows 7 guide: Installation

click here

Windows 7 Forums has lots of Information and Tweak on Win7

click here

‘Windows 7’ Tweaks

click here

Enjoy

Muergo 09:32 27 Jul 2009

Thank you ambra4 for your comprehensive reply.

I have pre-bought the full Windows7, not an upgrade from Vista.

I want to take a look at revamping the Dimension as far as possible, to make it virtually a new model.
Bearing in mind that with Dell's latest offer the purchase of a new one is about £500, that gives me a fair amount of leeway to spend say, up to £200 on equipping the current shell with upgraded parts, giving it another three years life.
Emphasising again that I am not into gaming, I want a versatile home machine capable of running Windows 7 for e-mail, photography, and coordinating with my existing Photo printer, separate scanner, external burner and to plug in camera and phone as I do at present, one external drive backing up, and another external drive solely for storing my thousands of photos, both of these I disconnect if needed.

I envisaged that I would back up all important records and photos prior to wiping everything clean and starting afresh with a new CPU, motherboard, more memory - whatever is needed, costing about £200.

xania 15:21 27 Jul 2009

You may find this useful:

click here

click here

Muergo 18:21 27 Jul 2009

Thank you Xania for those useful links, I am about to instal the new cards I have bought and will run a test after that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?