a squared free

awest3 13:05 22 Jul 2010

I've just updated a2 which worked ok but then gave me a choice of using emsisoft antimalware or another Emsisoft product when I tried to use it..There appears to be no option to continue using A2 free....am I missing something. I've looked at other posts and they seem to offer A2 free forever..etc...but even in the 'click here' sites I cant seem to find it...

Sea Urchin 13:45 22 Jul 2010

Also happened to me recently. I uninstalled it and then reinstalled from click here

and so far it has not reinstalled that particular "update".

awest3 14:41 22 Jul 2010

Thanks I'll give it a go...

cocteau48 15:18 22 Jul 2010

Beginning to look as though it is the end of the line for A Squared Free.

The option to install A2 Antimalware (which I cannot see how you can avoid the update prompt - unless you just do not update at all) does mention a new freeware mode but I cannot find it.

Between the ever increasing size of their update download - and the fact that it was forever throwing up false positives ..... maybe its no great loss!

johndrew 15:40 22 Jul 2010

I must admit I uninstalled it some time ago as it was causing various problems including complete downloads of the program during normal updates.

It is a shame as it was a good piece of software until it was updated and 'improved'.

awest3 16:14 22 Jul 2010

I'm afraid even uninstalling it and reinstalling, it immediately asked the same question....a shame but its bye bye A squared..now what to replace it with..?

rawprawn 17:14 22 Jul 2010

Malwarebytes perhaps.
I have just had problems after updating (and swtching to) so I have uninstalled it.
I am now using SAS Pro version and KIS 2011, I think that will suffice.

awest3 18:03 22 Jul 2010

Yep. I use Malwarebytes and superantispyware I suppose these along with MSe will do the job ok...but I did like the depth that Asquared went to..it could usually find things the others missed..may have been false positives I guess but hay ho..

Thanks again..

cocteau48 22:02 22 Jul 2010

Check out this page:click here

....especially the section under "new freeware mode" which states:

"Emsisoft Anti-Malware can now still be used in a restricted form once a license has expired. The limitations of the free version are basically the same as those of the current "a-squared Free" product. The scanner and cleaning functions are available but all protection functions are disabled in Freeware mode."

What is unclear here is that - is this available only to those who have a previously purchased,and now expired, license - or - is it available to those who opt for the trial period and the freeware version kicks in once the trial period has expired.

Sea Urchin 23:26 22 Jul 2010

Further to my earlier post I updated A Squared this evening - and immediately had "the update". I decided to install the anti-malware which automatically removed A Squared - which then asked me "why I wished to uninstall it".

I then tried to open the new program - and it came up with "major error-program cannot be run".

I've now given up on Emisoft for good.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017