Spyware/Malware recommendations?

crazycam23 15:48 01 May 2009

Can anyone recommend some spyware/malware software which they have found effective.

I have malwarebytes and AVG Anti-Virus installed however yesterday I encountered two infected sites one of which went through a whole process of warning me I had been infected with spyware/malware/tupperware you name it.

Obviously I am dubious of the reality of this but I dont have a spyware protector remover installed.

User-1229748 16:07 01 May 2009

i'm hoping that when you were wrongly told that you were infected that you never clicked on any link on the site as if you did you are almost certainly infected now.

User-1229748 16:08 01 May 2009

that includes clicking on the x that would normally close a window :o(

rdave13 16:10 01 May 2009

Try superantispyware in safe mode then normal mode; click here Select the free version.

Belatucadrus 16:12 01 May 2009

Unlike malwarebytes free SpywareTerminator offers real time protection click here It can be a bit of a pain as it learns an appropriate ruleset, but when done it pretty well locks a system down.
Not knocking malwarebytes as it's a good scanner, but you do need to buy the pro version for real time coverage.

crazycam23 16:15 01 May 2009

I'm downloading the free version now. I didn't click on any links, I did click on some close boxes I think.

Neither AVG or malwarebytes came up with anything on a full scan.

User-1229748 16:20 01 May 2009

i hope you may have got lucky but it's worth noting in future if you get any warnings popping up that are not from your anti apps then as quick as you can just hit restart on your pc and you will normally get away with it-i'm sure someone may know something to hit that is quicker than the restart but thats what i always hit :o)

Marko797 16:22 01 May 2009

As stated MBAM is not real time, however it's a great program. If I were u (and I'm not of course) I would consider switching to, what many think is, a superior AV Prog, & that wud be Avast, which is also free. Maybe if u'd had Avast, it would have warned and blocked the malicious sites before they had a chance to load in your browser. Worth thinking about, possibly.

crazycam23 16:25 01 May 2009

ok, nice one. I'll bear it in mind. I had a bit of an epi when it happened cos the screen just went mad.

It had some things pop up that looked quite genuine, eg windows firewall stuff, however I'm a novice so didn't know how to tell the difference.

Thanks anyway.

User-1229748 16:28 01 May 2009

you are far from being alone in getting caught out,if i hadn't used sites like this forum i would have come a cropper myself :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?