Spyware.bot

Quiet Life 18:24 27 Jun 2007

Having noticed good feedback on spybot S&D I googled it and went to the first page click here
and downloaded what was said to be a Free Version.
I ran the program that took hours to complete and then in order to eliminate the found error entries it stated I had to register. This then came up with a required once only payment of (I think $29). It was only then that I realised I had downloaded the wrong program.
I removed the program in the add remove programs and I received the message it was necessary to restart the computer. On restarting the program was still in C drive and I had to delete all the registry entries for it before the folder would delete.
I was wise about the many "free downloads " but this was stated to be a Free Version. Clearly not one to be recommended.

skidzy 18:40 27 Jun 2007

Spywarebot is a known rogue program.

Just for future reference,check with Spywarewarrior for legit programs and if still in doubt ask here.
click here

jimv7 18:42 27 Jun 2007

spybot search and destroy (free)

click here

blanco 18:55 27 Jun 2007

It's always worth going first to the downloads section on this site where you'll find the links to practically any security downloads you're likely to need including the free spybot you're after.

VCR97 21:17 27 Jun 2007

From the Spybot home page news:

Trademark issues [link] 4. August 2006
As a result of our ongoing efforts to protect our users from frauds, we're happy to announce that we were able to shut down three major mock sites: spybot.org is now registered to us as well, and the misleading selling of anti-spyware software on spybot.cc and spybot.biz has been shut down.

Our main targets now are free-spybot.com (with a dozen other very similar domains) and spywarebot.com, who still cheat many people each day into paying for something they believe would be Spybot-S&D. If you are one of those who were mislead by one of these pages, please let us know at [email protected].

Quiet Life 14:12 28 Jun 2007

Thanks for the replies. Have e-mailed spybot as the spyware.bot site is misleading. I never paid anything but was annoyed at the total waste of time incolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache