SpywareBlaster advice anyone?...

barryoneoff 13:18 02 Feb 2003

Yesterday, after reading a thread in this forum I downloaded the above and it's update. I was under the impression that it just ran in the background as antivirus and firewalls do. It seems that I have to start it by clicking the desktop icon every time I go online, then minimising the screen. Is this correct or have I missed something?

Cheers...

-pops- 13:24 02 Feb 2003

Have downloaded SpywareGuard as well? This is a companion to SWB and loads up at startup and sits in the sys tray. From the people who brought you SWB - have a look at their site again.

Brian

Spencus 13:26 02 Feb 2003

Dont know about SpywareBlaster, but you will not have this problem with Lavasofts Ad-Aware

barryoneoff 13:27 02 Feb 2003

will have a shufty right now,

JoeC 13:30 02 Feb 2003

is that once you install SpywareBlaster and update it,then that is it. It does not need to be run the way you are thinking. Once installed, it puts a " ring " around your system files which stops active x etc through. Ad-aware ( V.6 ) is not yet available unless you pay for it. The free version is out soon. : }

barryoneoff 13:30 02 Feb 2003

have had ad aware for ages, but as it is so out of date now got rid of it. Will download the new version which should be out on the 6th, but will wait for it's problems to be sorted before installing.

barryoneoff 13:34 02 Feb 2003

you are probably right, but I thought there would be something to show that it is actually active on your PC.

Litlun 13:34 02 Feb 2003

You don't have to start it each time. It blocks all those items ticked. That's all there is to it.

Regards.

hoverman 13:36 02 Feb 2003

Spywareblaster does NOT run in the background. When you launch the program click on 'Select All' and then on 'Protect Against Checked Items!'.

hoverman 13:38 02 Feb 2003

Meant to add that 'kill bits' are then saved in the registy that automatically protect you against the listed nasties.

barryoneoff 13:42 02 Feb 2003

thanks, that explains it perfectly. So I only need the icon to update the prog. Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?