Spyware terminator prompts(Microsoft)

hiwatt 10:18 06 Dec 2008

Hi folks,when I boot my computer up this morning I had LOADS(about 100)of prompts asking me to allow/block files.They all related to microsoft c:\windows\system32.Some examples are DNSAPI.DLL,NTDLL.DLL,KERNEL32.DLL AND JSPROXY.DLL.It's still happening as I type.I allowed them all as they belong to microsoft but this has never happened to me before.Did anyone else experience this?Thanks

johndrew 11:57 06 Dec 2008

When you update the Real Time Shield or Resident in either Spyware Terminator or Spybot S&D it makes changes that your security will want you to agree to. I run both Windows Defender and WinPatrol that pick up these changes and, generally, permit a single click acceptance or rejection.

spuds 12:31 06 Dec 2008

I use Spyware Terminator, and have done for ages. Never found any problems with it, and regard it as a reliable and solid product.

Would ask if you have done any recent computer clean-up operations of late?.

Belatucadrus 12:47 06 Dec 2008

Assuming you're using XP, have you recently has Service Pack 3 added ?

hiwatt 13:47 06 Dec 2008

Hi folks.No I've had service pack 3 installed for a while now.I've had spyware terminator installed for a long time now.I'm being prompted constantly to allow/block things today.As I say most are relating to microsoft and sysem 32.I haven't changed anything on my computer?

hiwatt 13:51 06 Dec 2008

I just done a test there.I clicked on the winpatrol icon to open it and was asked by ST to allow/block then I was asked to allow/block UXTHEME.DLL.It seems that ST is blocking ANY application that want's to run.There goes another one for KERNEL32.DLL?

bluto1 21:18 06 Dec 2008

Something may have caused a corruption so I'd recommend an uninstall and reinstall.

hiwatt 21:51 06 Dec 2008

Yes I was thinking in going down that route.Although I looked in realtime protection settings and there was something under "blocked" that I hadn't blocked.I deleted it and the prompts stopped.I'll see how it goes and report back.Thanks.

hiwatt 13:27 08 Dec 2008

This seems to be ok now.It must have been the software distribution\setup\servicesstartup\wups.dll that somehow were under blocked in realtime/applications.Anyway I deleted it and it seems fine now.Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?