Spyware Terminator + Antivirus ?

bluemoon69 08:36 25 Jan 2008

Spyware Terminator, now says it has Antivirus protection ? wont this then conflict with my AVG antivirus....
It says the following:
Spyware Terminator has included the popular award winning open-source antivirus, Clam AntiVirus (ClamAV), for optional integration to achieve a higher level of security. ClamAV can be integrated into spyware scans, updates and the real-time protection.

Just a tad puzzled.
Any help.
Thanks.

xania 09:13 25 Jan 2008

You hsould never have more than one AV on your PC. If the Terminator software insists on installing the AV part, you will have to chose which way to go.

sunny staines 09:16 25 Jan 2008

you have the option not to install the S.T. antivirus. You need to choose do you want to ditch your AV and run clam AV or not to install the clam AV option, do not run both.

setecio 09:18 25 Jan 2008

How does spyware terminator compare with windows defender ?

birdface 10:02 25 Jan 2008

Never liked Windows defender.You could remove Spyware Terminator and maybe use SuperAntispyware instead.Either that or don't install the S/T anti-virus.

bluemoon69 10:14 25 Jan 2008

I take it, that its ok to have the following, i now have on my laptop.

AVG Free.
SuperAntispyware.
Spyware Terminator (without its clam av).
AdAware.
Ccleaner.

Is this a good choice, been through many posts and the above combination looks ok but then i aint no techy.
Cheers for any advce.

bluemoon69 10:15 25 Jan 2008

forgot to say i have
Windows firewall with vista.
people say that this is good enough.
cheers.

sunny staines 10:25 25 Jan 2008

You choice is ok.

birdface 10:45 25 Jan 2008

I would add.WinPatrol.Just been updated for those of you that already use it.Free.Version 14.click here Also McAfee Site Advisor.click here Both free and both just puts little icons on your computer.McAfee changes colour when you go into bad websites.

xania 15:37 25 Jan 2008

I've got Windows Defender in my Popouri - and it has picked up some nasties that others have missed. But I think I'll give that site advisor a look as well.

Trouble is, the more you have the safer, and s..l..o..w..e..r.. you are!!

birdface 16:01 25 Jan 2008

When I download something new,I try to delete something old to balance it.Maybe slower but safer,You take your pick,None of those two take up a lot of room.And you don't need to open them or update them every week.Usually about every 6 months or so. Windows Defender picking up nasties that others missed.it must have improved in the last couple of years then.A lot of folk use it on here but I never liked it.Its a bit like Norton you either like it or hate it.Unfortunately a lot of previous good sites are now getting full of malware + adware + others. McAfee is the only program that tackles it and warns you about it that I know of.Always better safe than sorry.Try it and just see how many bad sites that there is when you Google for something.Bad sites must be up about 40% since last year.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires