Spyware Stormer----Any Good

[email protected] 20:43 24 Jun 2004

Hi Folks,removed spy bot due to bad press,now on spyware stormer,its found 114 on what i thought was a clean system,anyone got the pros & cons on it or a recomendation for an alternative???Thanx

[email protected] 21:24 24 Jun 2004

bump

Gaz 25 21:34 24 Jun 2004

Collection of Personal Information from Service Visitors
Spyware Stormer, Inc. may collect and/or track (1) the home server domain names, email addresses, type of client computer, files downloaded, search engine used, operating system, and type of web browser of visitors to Spyware Stormer, Inc.'s web service, (2) the email addresses of visitors that communicate with Spyware Stormer, Inc. via email, (3) information knowingly provided by the visitor in online forms, registration forms, surveys, email, contest entries, and other online avenues (including demographic and personal profile data), and (4) aggregate and user-specific information on which pages visitors access.

Spyware Stormer, Inc. may place Internet "cookies" on visitors' hard drives. Internet cookies save data about individual visitors, such as the organization's name, password, user-name, screen preferences, and the pages of a service viewed by the visitor. When the visitor revisits Spyware Stormer, Inc.'s web service, Spyware Stormer, Inc. may recognize the visitor by the Internet cookie and customize the visitor's experience accordingly. Visitors may decline Internet cookies, if any, by using the appropriate feature of their web client software, if available.

Use of Personal Data Collected
Personal data collected by Spyware Stormer, Inc. may be used by Spyware Stormer, Inc. for many reasons, for example, for editorial and feedback purposes, for marketing and promotional purposes, for a statistical analysis of users' behavior, for product development, for content improvement, or to customize the content and layout of Spyware Stormer, Inc.'s service. Aggregate data on visitors' home servers may be used for internal purposes but will not be provided to third parties such as marketing firms. Individually identifying information, such as names, postal and email addresses, phone numbers, and other personal information which visitors voluntarily provide to Spyware Stormer, Inc. may be added to Spyware Stormer, Inc.'s databases and used for future calls and mailings regarding service updates, new products and services, and upcoming events.

Spyware Stormer, Inc.'s Right to Contact Users
Spyware Stormer, Inc. reserves the right to contact service visitors regarding sales and other informational requests made through its web service

Gaz 25 21:36 24 Jun 2004
  [email protected] 21:42 24 Jun 2004

oh dear,ok ive done the scan and tried to fix the 141 problems ,it wont let me do it till ive registered,phew-i havnt so can i asume no damage has been done,should i just remove it in add/remove,and can you suggest legit spyware and adware scan/removal tools,thanks Gaz 25

Gaz 25 21:51 24 Jun 2004

Id remove it usinf ad-remove then use Adaware and Spybot as well as spyware blaster.

Spybot is perfectly fine - I seen many good reviews from top magazines.

[email protected] 22:34 24 Jun 2004

is there any particular configurations, in these 3 applications that should be avoided to ensure my registry will not be compromised ,i have all 3 installed and run with no action taken

[email protected] 23:26 24 Jun 2004

bump

Gaz 25 00:32 25 Jun 2004

None of them conflict as I know of.

I use all of them side by side.

€dstowe 06:16 25 Jun 2004

Having glanced through the Privacy Policy, can I cynically wonder if the 114 (or is it 141) items were placed there by the software itself to encourage you to register and part with cash.

Adaware, Spybot S&D and Spywareblaster work perfectly well together and it you take a lot of persuasion to get me to change.

€d

€dstowe 06:27 25 Jun 2004

My last sentence (above) should read:

Adaware, Spybot S&D and Spywareblaster work perfectly well together and it would take a lot of persuasion to get me to change.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017