Spyware Returning Despite Being Cleared

thumbscrew 16:40 13 May 2008

I have four anti-spyware programs on my machine...AVG..Ad-Aware...Spybot and Superantispyware. I do a weekly sweep using them all in succession and invariably they all claim to find different threats the others haven't shown. I'm baffled by one thing and would be grateful if anyone could enlighten me.If, just after I have removed every threat, I then run another check, invariably other spyware appears. This is without going on to any sites whatsoever and only a matter of minutes sometimes, after I have been advised that all threats are gone.How can this be?

Halmer 16:52 13 May 2008

is being found and using which software.

thumbscrew 16:56 13 May 2008

Thanks Halmer, never taken too much notice really, just the usual computerese gobbledygook. I can re-post next time they appear but, still can't fathom how and why they reappear after I've deleted everything.

rawprawn 17:57 13 May 2008

Try running your Anti spyware in Safe mode and then deleting. If that doesn't work look in msconfig for anything unusual, and as a last resort turn System restore Off, scan, delete, reboot, and turn System Restore back on (don't forget to turn it back on)

rawprawn 17:59 13 May 2008

Should have mentioned when you turn System Restore off, you will lose all previous restore points.

mfletch 18:07 13 May 2008

Open Superantispyware click on preferences then click on scanning control then put a tick in Ignore system restore/volume Information,

Then do another scan,

If it come;s back clean then you can turn off the system restore to flush out the restore points

As above dont forget to turn it back on again,

Halmer 18:18 13 May 2008

and spybot I think in that AVG recognises all of Spybot's Immunisations in the form of a 'Warning'. You need to ignore this.

thumbscrew 18:19 13 May 2008

Doing that now mfletch. Am I correct in assuming that the concensus is that System Restore is retaing the spyware?

mfletch 18:29 13 May 2008

Yes if it still shows spyware after not scanning system restore do another full scan in safe mode and delete all temp Internet files,

Salut 22:38 13 May 2008

I had a similar problem and received the following responses to my thread click here.

I hope this is of some help to you.

thumbscrew 18:13 14 May 2008

Thanks Salut..very informative.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?