Spyware Query

Hugo15 16:27 28 Jan 2007

I currently run McAfee Internet Security Suite, use CCleaner to clear out cookies and block pop ups with the Google Tool Bar. I have read a lot on here about spyware and was wondering whether the set up I have is enough to prevent picking up spyware (it is keyloggers getting my credit card details I am most worried about). Could I install something like Windows Defender with McAfee or will this create a conflict? Will this help?

ACOLYTE 16:36 28 Jan 2007

Im not a big McAfee fan to be honest even though i find the siteadvisor one of there better products.
Ccleaner as far as i know doesnt block popups,but it is still a good piece of kit to have,it cleans out rubbish files and cookies as you say.
Windows defender is also a good app to have and shouldnt conflict with Mcafee,although i dont use it so cant be 100% sure on that.

These are also good things to have:

click here
click here
click here

click here

click here

as i said i dont use Mcafee so cant guarentee these wont conflict,i would think its very unliky but somone else may help there.
the odds on you getting a key logger on your system are very low indeed so i wouldnt worry to much about it ).

postie24 16:45 28 Jan 2007

If you use a wireless network,dont do any banking or credit card transactions this way

Postie24

Hugo15 18:50 28 Jan 2007

Thanks.

Do programmes like spybot and spyware blaster run in the background or do you need to run them manually?

postie24 19:11 28 Jan 2007

Just update spyware blaster,thats all thats needed,not sure about spybot,i dont use it,
Try this anti-spy ware,works well.You have to run it,unlike spyware blaster click here

Postie24

Nellie2 19:27 28 Jan 2007

There is all sorts of advice out there but one of the best bits of advice that I could give anyone is this from TonyKlein... so how did I get infected in the first place!! click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?