spyware help plz.

swanny2 15:38 28 Apr 2005

I did a scan using Adaware an spybot an it found a few object so i removed them..now i use zonealarm and i got a update from them so i checked yes an a scan came up for spyware so i did the free scan as u do .:O) and it found these.

tracking Co-cyber-monitor
lgm2.com
uk.sitestat/allcare leicester
server-iad liverperson

and on link grabber
HKEY-USERS default software/micros.

now im not a pc buff but what i cant understand is why spybot an adaware didnt detect this spyware?
as zonelabs says if i want it removed .yes!! ive got too purchase it too remove them.witch i will do if needed... does any 1 know why?
thanks

gudgulf 16:07 28 Apr 2005

I'm not impressed with the ZoneAlarm site's free scan.The fact that it is scan only/buy to remove makes my suspicious mind think it might be finding things in order to get you to part with your cash.If you are having no problems with your pc or suffering with unwanted popups etc I would be inclined to ignore the results of this scan.

Adaware and Spybot wont find everything so you could consider the Microsoft Beta antispyware product if you use XP click here
which is anexcellent(free)scanner or A2 click here also excellent and free to supplement the others you already have.

dogbreath1 16:19 28 Apr 2005

Although it's always a good idea to be spyware free, much of the stuff detected is innocuous and indeed, if you look at various 'antispyware' sites, some of the files listed are vaguely defined as 'probably not spyware'. It also seems to me that when an antispyware prog picks up stuff that Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D didn't, they often want you to part with your readies for the privelege of having the alleged nasties removed. I would recommend that you Google the offending items to identify them and make up your own mind as to whether you need to be concerned about them. Then there's always other free kit on the net such as MS Antispyware Beta, SpywareGuard and a-squared which you may use if you decide that the items must go.

byfordr 17:06 28 Apr 2005

Have a crack at some of these...would think if you cleaned your temp files then ran the scan it would be clean.

click here Info on CWShredder and Hijackthis - clears nasties.
click here - CWShredder
click here Spybot – finds nasties.
click here adaware – finds nasties
click here c cleaner – clears junk
click here clean up – clears junk
click here spider – clears junk
click here start page guard – stops home page being changed
click here spyware blaster - stop nasties getting on in the first place.

click here the cleaner – free trial, free nasties
click here pest patrol – free trial, finds nasties
click here spy sweeper – free trial. Worth buying

click here - A2 anti Trojan, anti spyware

click here - anti virus (use only 1 anti virus)
click here - anti virus (use only 1 anti virus)

vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ - targeted anti virus (can be used alside anti virus of choice)

click here company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp – firewall (disable xp’s) (use only 1 firewall)

housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp - online scanner
security.symantec.com/ default.asp?productid=symhome&langid=ie&venid=sym - online scanner

also microshafts spy scanner is free for the moment.

HTH

R

Buchan 35 18:08 28 Apr 2005

"Microshaft", interesting conshept:-))

Indigo 1 18:18 28 Apr 2005

I tend to agree with gudgulf on this one, I have also been tempted to pay for a spyware removal service only to find that the offending article was only a cookie.

Go through the (very comprehensive) list provided by byfordr and check with as many tools as you like before parting with the readies.

One program he didn't mention was Ewido click here it is free to download and use for 30 days (I have been using and updating mine for over 60 days without any restrictions sshhhh!) and it is an excellent tool.

swanny2 20:28 30 Apr 2005

ty very much guys for the rsponse

i will try .....and then let iknow ty agaoin :O)

swanny2 20:32 30 Apr 2005

sorry mate indigo but u need 2000 an above pc download it ?
i m on widows me is that not good enuff?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?