Is Spyware Dr. worth it?

EARLR 11:02 07 Apr 2006

Just tried it as advertised on this site,it found 1 adware that ad-aware doesn't find. but says I have to register to remove it. Is this a scam?
Thanks

€dstowe 11:13 07 Apr 2006

Be aware that some unscrupulous programs (I'm not implying this one does) plant their own "spyware" as a come-on to buy the full version of their product.

Even if Ad-Aware doesn't remove whatever it is, some other program may be able to.

There are plenty of free anti-malware programs around, no need to shell out any money.

Diodorus Siculus 11:54 07 Apr 2006

I'm with €dstowe on this one; the freeware options are more than adequate I believe.

click here
AdAware - which you have

click here
SpywareBlaster - keeps them out

click here
Spybot S&D - good cleaner

click here
cws - all these work well toghether.

click here
A² is another popular one here.

961 12:03 07 Apr 2006

There was a full edition of Spyware Doctor with 6 months free updates on, I think, PCAdvisor cover disk last autumn. I tried this over the 6 months and have to say it cleared some infections that a couple of others did not find and it worked without difficulty

I recently renewed for one year at a cost of about £15

I also used it to clear a friend's computer which had been subject to poor spyware and anti virus maintenance. It found and cleared 97 trojans

Having said that it is fair to say that the freebies DS lists above do work. I'm not quite sure that the Microsoft job does much and AdAware never seems to find other than low level stuff

Belatucadrus 12:16 07 Apr 2006

PC Tools Spyware Doctor is a reputable anti spyware product. It was rated the winner in a recent PCpro test lab click here so the results are probably genuine.
But I agree with €dstowe for the home user, there's plenty of good free product that will get the job done.
click here Spybot S&D.
click here Spydefence
click here ewido
click here Spywareblaster
click here Spycatcher express.
click here Windows defender.

Totally-braindead 12:20 07 Apr 2006

Bookmarked

rawprawn 12:55 07 Apr 2006

Top of my list is Ewido click here
When installing untick Real Time Scan and Auto update. The program is then free and you simply have to update manually.

EARLR 13:30 07 Apr 2006

I will tick resolved

kinger 14:12 07 Apr 2006

I'm aware that you've ticked resolved but, just for the record, Spyware Doctor won gold award in either PC Advisor or WebUser last month finding 34 sypyware on the reviewers computer.

I ran it on one of mine and it found 106. I ran it on a second PC and it found over 6000. The 6000 were from a website building program I had installed. It cleaned all the malware out.

I'd say it's worth the money each year.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?