Spyware Doctor - Unlimited time trial

bertiecharlie 12:47 19 Aug 2005

There are two unlimited time trial versions of Spyware Doctor v 3.2 available, one from the PCTools site and one from Download.com. Both work on 95,98,ME, 2000, and XP. From the license agreement, "If you are downloading a free trial version of the Software, you may use it on one or more computers for an unlimited period of time."

The one from the PCTools site click here gives you real time monitoring but, after a manual scan, you need to pay to register the product to remove any items found. (The download is sdsetup.exe.)

The one from Download.com click here doesn't provide real time monitoring but, after a manual scan, you can remove any items found without having to pay and register the product. (The download is sdinstall.exe.)

You can choose a Quick Scan, a Full System Scan, or a Custom Scan. If you have a large Hosts File, you can choose Custom Scan and untick the "Hosts Scanner" box to save scanning time. (You might also want to untick the "Browser Defaults, Favourites and Zone Map Scanner" as this will identify a load of false positives in your Favourites.)

The database for the free version is the same as the paid version but usually comes out a day or so later. Like any program of this type watch out for false positives generally but other than that it's there if you want it. I've tried both versions on XP but prefer the Download.com version as MS Anti-Spyware gives good real time monitoring on XP.

Spyware Doctor is recommended as a "Trustworthy Anti-Spyware Product" click here along with Adaware etc. (Scroll 3/4 down the page.)

palinka 16:19 19 Aug 2005

There are others in this forum who are much more knowledgeable, but I've not heard of Spyware Doctor.
Spyware Doctor is recommended as a "Trustworthy Anti-Spyware Product" - by whom?
I'd stick to programs recommended in this Forum, they are usually clearly indicated as free if they are free.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:26 19 Aug 2005

Have just removed over 2500 pieces of spy and maware on a computer that had Spyware doctor installed and supposedy realtime monitoring.

Needless to say I uninstalled it (not easy) and have installed Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here

VoG II 16:36 19 Aug 2005

At least it isn't a rogue click here but that doesn't mean it is any good.

Stuartli 16:59 19 Aug 2005

I've tried these type of offers before and they usually come up with some warnings of malware/spyware.

Running S and D and Ad-Aware reveals nothing is amiss....

GaT7 17:43 19 Aug 2005

"The one from the PCTools site gives you real time monitoring but, after a manual scan, you need to pay to register the product to remove any items found" - does it show where the dodgy items are located?

Seems a silly question, but that's how I remember PestPatrol worked - it would show location of files &/or registry items. Is Spyware Doctor the same? Ta, G

GaT7 17:47 19 Aug 2005

Does the version from the PCTools site provide free updates too? G

bertiecharlie 17:58 19 Aug 2005

palinka

The third link on my post takes you to the spywarewarrior rogues page, written by Eric Howes. Scroll down 3/4 of the page you will see a list of "Trustworthy Anti-Spyware products". They include Adaware, Microsoft Anti-Spyware, PestPatrol, Spybot, Spyware Doctor, and Spysweeper.

Fruit Bat /\0/\

If Spyware Doctor didn't detect 2,500 items of spyware then it must be rubbish. Was it version 3.2? Had it been updated regularly? Was real time monitoring enabled? Were any of these items false positives? How many cookies made up the 2,500 items?I had no problem uninstalling the version with real time monitoring and replacing it with the second version. What wasn't easy about uninstalling it? When I uninstalled it, it left one registry key, HKLM\Software\Chilkat Software in respect of the chilkatxml.dll which was in the Spyware Doctor Program Files folder.

VoG

Why are you repeating the third link in my original post?

Stuartli

If you had read my post, you would know that the version from Download.com allows you remove items identified by the scan so I'm not at all clear about your statement "I've tried these type of offers before and they usually come up with some warnings of malware/spyware." Mmm, that's what anti-spyware applications do. As the program allows you to remove said items, what is your point?

Anyway, that's enough questions from me.

I'll just make the following point. Registry Doctor is made by the same people who make Registry Mechanic. My first impressions are that it's a decent up and coming program. If it proves to be a totally rubbish program then fair enough but to dismiss it without trying it smacks of heads in the sand.

Crossbow 7

Yes it does.

Stuartli 00:07 20 Aug 2005

I was referring to another progam (and others equally suspect as well) you mention but, due to certain requirements regarding claims made in print, I didn't name it directly.....:-)

Stuartli 19:06 21 Aug 2005

Despite all your excitement, the fact remains that the article you refer to recommends several utilities (including Spyware Doctor) and that using at least two in tandem is preferable as one can pick up what the other misses.

As the list includes both Ad-aware and Search and Destroy; adding SpywareBlaster advised as further strengthening of defences and that switching to Firefox will also be beneficial over Internet Explorer, I'm sticking to my long standing current setup.

Yes, you've probably guessed it.

Search and Destroy, Ad-Aware, SpywareBlaster and Firefox (plus Thunderbird) and updated as necessary (plus Avast and ZA)...:-)

bertiecharlie 19:58 21 Aug 2005

What on earth are you talking about "Despite all your excitement..." Pathetic.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone