Spyware Doctor + Antivus V AVG 8.0

SteveD73 10:19 31 Dec 2008

Hi All,
I have the 2 programs mentioned on my desktop, quite happy with both. I have just purchased a laptop which I will be setting up wirelessly soon (more posts no doubt!) and wonder if anyone has an opion on which is better to use on my new laptop....or indeed if I should use both? I have paid for 3 licences for Spyware Doctor, so guess I can just download the setup file and re-enter my licence code?
Any opinions / help much appreciated as this is my 1st laptop and want to get security right. Thanks.

iscanut 10:23 31 Dec 2008

Laptop is no different from your desktop regarding security, so go with what you know and are happy with. You make no mention of a firewall. Do you rely on windows own or just a router ?

iscanut 10:24 31 Dec 2008

Yes re you query for Spyware Doctor install and also the same for AVG if you are using the free version.

SteveD73 10:44 31 Dec 2008

Thanks iscanut! I will probably go the Spyware Doctor route initially then.RE Firewall, I will ensure that the windows firewall is active. I am just about to attempt to attach my new Thomson TG585V7 Router supplied by Plusnet and follow the supplied instructions. I have a WPA PSK security key, so will ensure this is entered. Don't know if the router offers a "firewall", but trust the windows one will suffice if not..

iscanut 10:58 31 Dec 2008

If using Vista, the windows firewall will be OK, but no more than that. Most people would still recommend a software firewall other than the windows one. There are plenty of good free ones mentioned many times on these forums. Good luck.

SteveD73 11:10 01 Jan 2009

Many Thanks for your help....here I go!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?