Spyware and anti Adware

mike55 23:24 30 Dec 2004

Are there any restrictions on which protection I can use on a Broadband connection. I have looked at some and they go on about using outlook express. My email is a web based one via Wanadoo.
Has anyone any recommendations?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:30 30 Dec 2004

On wannado broad band try
these they work well together

ZoneAlarm *firewall* click here

Avast4 *antivius* click here

Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here

Bapou 00:00 31 Dec 2004

Moving to Broadband, I increased anti spyware from Spybot S&D and Blaster to A2 Square, Ad Aware and BTYahoos own Anti Spyware.

Updated first two then ran each one in turn, S&D said " Congratulations No Threats", A2 found a dialer, Ad Aware found 54 Critical Objects, mostly cookies and BT Yahoo 5 cookies as Syware.

The dialer caused a bit of a heart flutter but at least the Dial Up connection is disabled thank goodness.

Had earlier assumed Blaster working in the background preventing any Spyware getting in was working ok as S&D always came up clean. Still mystified by it all.

Jackcoms 09:19 31 Dec 2004

Bapou

Nothing to be mystified about.

Different anti-malware scanners have different definitions from each other and some have more than others. This is why you will find, in this Forum, that about 3 or 4 favourites are always recommended. Some will invariably find malware that others don't.

You say you are using Spybot, SpywareBlaster, a2 and AdAware. You've got the favourites!

You night want to add click here
and click here

Yes, I know, we seem to spend an increasing amount of time fighting off attacks on our PCs. Probably this is because there are an increasing number of malcontents out there who have nothing better to do with their time than write this scumware.

Oh, by the way, now that you've got all this defence, make sure that you regularly update their definitions. ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017