Spyware alert?

holme 10:14 04 Sep 2007

Please note that the Giveaway of the Day - DropBox Image Processor available from click here seems to have a Trojan attached.

We've downloaded it (separately) onto two machines and, on attempting to install, Ashampoo threw up a warning on one and (would you believe?) Defender on the other.

(Who said Defender was "worthless"?)

holme 11:34 04 Sep 2007

The Trojan is Trojan.Win32.StartPage.apm

It's also appeared on a third machine (different location) so seems to be repeatable.

Note that, if you have downloaded DropBox and then deleted it (i.e. without installing), the Trojan is still there - in your Recycle Bin. So you also need to run something like CCleaner to over-write it umpteen times to squash it. HTH.

might be worth reporting it to mcafee site advisor, would have thought if anti malware recognised it, it would be able to remove/ quantine it from all locations?

cocteau48 12:44 04 Sep 2007

Odd thing is that there are 21 comments on the website
click here relative to this particular giveaway and not one of them has picked up the Trojan.
I passed on todays offering but the comments page is always worth a read and is usually highly entertaining.

cocteau48 12:46 04 Sep 2007

Why not post you findings on the site comments page and see what transpires?

holme 12:51 04 Sep 2007

Thanks for the feedback folks, and we've passed on the message to the site and McAfee.

It looks like a recent jobby as I system restored to last week and Ashampoo didn't pick it up. Updated Ashampoo's signature file - and up popped the Trojan alert. So it's a good double-check of the system and, in view of recent criticism of Defender, it was /very/ nice to see it doing its thing. :-)

Case closed...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone