Spyware!!

suburban train 20:29 18 Jan 2003
  suburban train 20:29 18 Jan 2003

Dear All,

Ive done a still clean install of my PC using windows XP pro, all i have done is install all my programs:

I have also been using the web looking at this site and my hotmail email account.

I used ad-aware to make sure it was working ok and i was horrified that when ad-aware had finished scanning my PC it found 41 components.

In the list there was alot of gator.exe and alexsis. What are these and how do i stop them.

I have just installed my Sygate firewall.

Do my programs have spyware on it?

VoG™ 20:40 18 Jan 2003

No your progs don't you pick them up from the net (apart from alexis which I believes comes with IE).

You should also get Spybot click here SpywareBlaster click here and SpywareGuard click here

Belatucadrus 22:18 18 Jan 2003

Get Spybot, Ad-aware hasn't issued any signature file updates since last September.

jazzypop 22:26 18 Jan 2003

Go to click here and click on the spyware/adware link for an explanation of gator, and many others.

As VoG™ says, you have downloaded / installed programs, most likely from the Web, that includes these components. I would guess that a significant number of what AdAware has found are the cookies used by gator and similar programs.

Gaz 25 02:51 19 Jan 2003

click here this and you will be shocked at how much more it finds even after ad-aware.

And it will speed the net up a little bit!!!!!

scottishflower 14:01 19 Jan 2003

Had a go at this - took a wee while to get my head round it but heres hoping.................

Thin White Duke 14:55 19 Jan 2003

Arrrggghhh, that Gator thing again!

I'd love to meet the guy who made that...grrr.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone