Is this spyware?

Hetti 15:02 11 Sep 2009

For a couple of months now superantispyware and Malwarebytes has shown my PC to be infected by "Iwantsearchbar" after scan is completed both software says you must reboot , I do and it says removal was carried out su
sessfully, but every time I run scans the same thing shows up again

Hetti 15:06 11 Sep 2009

For a couple of months now superantispyware and Malwarebytes has shown my PC to be infected by "Iwantsearchbar" after scan is completed both software says you must reboot , I do and it says removal was carried out sucssf, but every time I run scans the same thing shows up again

I emailed superantisryware and they said just allow it, as it is not dangerous, but I would like to see it gone.
I did Google it but all of the posts i found were fron 2004 and links did not work.
Can anyone help please?

Sparkly 15:16 11 Sep 2009

Hi Hetti
Take a look hear for the descripition from SAS
click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:16 11 Sep 2009

Switch off system restore and rescan and let it get rid of virus.

reboot PC and rescan to check its gone then switch system restore back on.

Hetti 16:28 11 Sep 2009

Thanks all

How do i turn off system restore fruit bat?

Sparkley
They rate it six but tell me to ignore it??

Hetti 16:53 11 Sep 2009

Omit last post, got it...... im doing it now ty

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:55 11 Sep 2009

Vista

1/ Click the Start Button

2/ From the Start menu click Control panel

3/ In Control Panel click the System Icon

4/ On the Left of the System properties window you will see a list of Tasks, click on the System protection link

5/ In the System Protection window remove the 'Tick' mark from beside the drive you want to disable system restore on

6/ A message will now appear asking: 'Are you sure you want to turn System restore off'

7/ Press the Turn System restore Off button

8/ System Restore will now be turned off permanently on that particular drive

9/ To re-enable system restore just click your mouse in the box next to the drive you require system restore to monitor ( a tick will appear in the box), the click the Apply button and system restore will resume monitoring the drive.

XP
1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2. In the System Properties dialog box, click the System Restore tab.
3. Click to select the Turn off System Restore check box. Or, click to select the Turn off System Restore on all drives check box.
4. Click OK.
5. When you receive the following message, click Yes to confirm that you want to turn off System Restore:
You have chosen to turn off System Restore. If you continue, all existing restore points will be deleted, and you will not be able to track or undo changes to your computer.

Do you want to turn off System Restore?
After a few moments, the System Properties dialog box closes.

Steps to turn on System Restore

1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2. In the System Properties dialog box, click the System Restore tab.
3. Click to clear the Turn off System Restore check box. Or, click the Turn off System Restore on all drives check box.
4. Click OK.

After a few moments, the System Properties dialog box closes.

Hetti 19:17 11 Sep 2009

I did that then ran all scans again but the same 7 iwantsearchbar warnings were there.
is there anything else i can try?

rdave13 19:21 11 Sep 2009

Try this old program, it works on Vista and Xp; Toolbarcop; click here

Hetti 19:39 11 Sep 2009

rdave
done that but cannot see iwantsearchbar in the list, i did a "search for toolbars" on my PC but the list just stayed the same
Im I doing something wrong?, although it seems a very simple programe to use im not the best at this sort of thing.
Ill get back here tomorrow gtg now

rdave13 20:35 11 Sep 2009

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?