Spyware

Woody Ham 16:21 09 Apr 2008

I have a problem with Spyware. When I switch on, littl ebugs crawl over the screen and then the desktop goes red with a warning. I have AOL spyware which doesn't appear to notice and Macafee which I can't now open. My sound card doesn't work. It keeps coming up with a screen for Antispy Spider but I am suspicious of whether that is genuine.

Does anyone have any advice please?

brundle 16:40 09 Apr 2008

Superantispyware
click here - Install, update and scan.

Mac70 17:00 09 Apr 2008

Anti-Spy Spider is a rogue
click here

Woody Ham 10:40 10 Apr 2008

MAny thanks. I have downloaded as suggested and it seems to cleared up most of the problem. However I still get antispyware popup every few minutes and the new software doesn't seem to stop that.

Any further thoughts?

Ditch999 11:01 10 Apr 2008

Run a full scan in Safe Mode and use more than one scanner. Try AVG anti spyware as well as your own one. click here
Dont forget to update it when you install it.

RobCharles1981 11:20 10 Apr 2008

Try A-Squared too:

click here

Woody Ham 18:25 12 Apr 2008

Thanks for all your help. I have now tried McAfee, AVG, Regcure, and Spybot each opf which identifies some probs and "deals" with them. However, I still get a Windows alert box saying that I am being attacked and am referred automatically to click here

skidzy 18:33 12 Apr 2008

Mac70 has provided a link with removal instructions,however this is based on the user having Norton installed.

I think if you boot into safemode and disable system restore and scan with your anti's (updated),this will clean you up.

Dont forget to enable system restore once back into windows.

skidzy 18:40 12 Apr 2008

I think you are going to need a bit more help on this;

Manual removal click here

If you cannot get rid of this,run HJT click here and post the log click here please be paitent and let an expert guide you through the cleaning process.

Woody Ham 23:17 14 Apr 2008

Thanks everyone for your help. I decided that the safest thing was probably to format and reload so moved all my documents,spreadsheets etc to another HDD in preparation.
The problem then went away and has not returned!! Aren't computers wonderful?!
I have decided that since I have backed up all my stuff, I might as well go through with the format and reload.

RobCharles1981 23:43 14 Apr 2008

Woody Ham

Why should you need to format if its just a virus??

To me that virus/trojan can be easily be removed by using A-Squared as I pointed you in the right direction give it a shot.

click here

Obviously you need to fully update it, run this in Windows Safemode make sure your system restore is knocked off and load Windows Safe Mode by pressing the F8 Key Do a Deep Scan and see what it finds.

Rob

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone