Spyware

orihuela 16:43 19 Dec 2006

I have had a new pc for about 6 weeks. On my previous pc I use to run Spybot S&D every few weeks together with Avast antivirus program and normally there were no problems found. Occasionally on Spybot there was 1 or even maybe two problems found but very rarely. On my new computer I am running Spybot every single day because each time there are 12, 16, 18 maybe 20 problems found. Never 1 or 2 always loads. I don't download music or things from unknown websites, I am quite a 'conservative' pc user. What is happening anyone know?

Jackcoms 17:00 19 Dec 2006

You might want to add SpywareBlaster click here (as a malware blocker) and Windows Defender click here (as a real-time scanner) to your armoury.

Spybot is a scanner - it doesn't block or scan in real time. It only scans when you run a scan - not the best way to 'fight' malware.

birdface 19:33 19 Dec 2006

I would add A Squared,And run full scan.

beynac 20:20 19 Dec 2006

I think that the 'problems' are probably tracking cookies. These don't do any harm and it's easy to change settings so that you don't get so many of them. Block cookies from sites unless *you* want them. SpywareBlaster (suggested by Jackcoms) will stop a lot of them.

Clear them regularly using CCleaner click here

STREETWORK 20:11 20 Dec 2006

when you run any spyware, etc software:

1. disconnect from the internet.

2. disable system restore (as they can hide there).

3. disable any programs running.

If this does not clear them out, boot into safe mode and run the scans again...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?