Spying

DÕ DÕ 11:22 13 Nov 2006

Is it possible for someone to have control of your computer without you knowing. How can you tell somebody is spying on you and maybe messing around with your system.I have recently been opening programmes and getting a blue screen & locking up.
I have Windows XP PRO & I running " Norton anti- virus" software.
Any help will be gratefully appreciated.

VoG II 11:26 13 Nov 2006

Scan for trojans click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:29 13 Nov 2006

There is more chance of you winning the EuroLotto than have someone 'controlling' your computer. There is nothing of even the remotest interest on a home computer as all the data is double dull. You could run AVG antispy click here to check for trojans. Also download Ccleaner click here and delte all it finds. Both programmes are free and will clear put all your debris. I have found Norton to be the cause of many problems....

You may need to up your RAM if you are on 256 or 512.

G

Gongoozler 11:30 13 Nov 2006

If you have XP Pro with SP2, your firewall should protect you from someone spying on your computer from outside, but not from a program on your computer reporting on what you are doing. For that you need to install a firewall such as ZoneAlarm click here.
If you are getting frequent error messages, it could be that you have faulty memory, but first try an online scan with Ewido click here to see if it can find any malware.

pcdummyami 13:19 13 Nov 2006

I just took advice from this forum this morning, did everything suggested and finally I'm rid of all that malware. But the only thing that really detected everything was yours, VoG, and its a 30 day free trial as well. So congratulations and a great thank you to all you posters that try to help everyone. The only thing I have to add is that Windows Defender didn't do a thing for me, it came back clean, even though I knew there was something wrong. So a great thanks again. ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des Légendes en ligne ?