Spybot and SpywareBlaster problems

Happy37 15:18 24 Mar 2008

Hi all

Don’t know if anyone else has come across this as of yet:-

I have uninstalled the old versions of Spybot 1.4 and SpywareBlaster 3.51 and have replaced these with versions 1.5 and 4.0 respectively.

However, both of these versions refuse to update themselves via the Internet on my home LAN. I am running Windows XP Pro and am using ICS on the network.

Also, I can access some websites on the 2nd PC which "gets" the Internet access via the LAN, and not others?

How can I fix the programs problems as well as the intermittent Internet access problem on my 2nd PC please?

birdface 15:30 24 Mar 2008

Are you signed in as Administrator.Have you ran C Cleaner and your Security programs.

brundle 15:35 24 Mar 2008

Does a direct link to the Spybot Includes file work?
click here

Happy37 15:39 24 Mar 2008

Hi buteman

Have just tried what you have suggested - no go I'm afraid.

I also formatted the 2nd PC yesterday just in case that there was anything else on there causing problems.

Any other suggestions, please?

Happy37 15:41 24 Mar 2008

brundle

In response to your answer, no, it has not helped.

brundle 15:58 24 Mar 2008

So not a problem with the applications - your connection to those sites is blocked. Check hosts file & firewall for starters. click here

brundle 15:58 24 Mar 2008

Check MTU settings on the interface that actually connects to the 'net - click here

Happy37 16:43 24 Mar 2008

brundle

What should the hosts file read as...i.e. what should be inside this file, even though I think that Spybit has added entries in there?

Should I just delete those entries?

Regards

brundle 16:53 24 Mar 2008

Go to Spybot/Immunize, untick Global Hosts. Did you uninstall v1.4 before installing 1.52? I think you'd be best to uninstall Spybot, find out what the problem is with Spywareblaster and then re-install Spybot.

Happy37 14:20 10 Apr 2008

Hello everyone

This problem is now resolved as it was a faulty patch network cable which was preventing ICS from working as well stopping the updates from downloading and working in both Spybot and SpywareBlaster.

I have replaced the cable and all is now well, as you can see from this thread here:-

click here

Thanks once again to all those that replied to try and help.

Regards

Happy37

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?