spybot s&d system crash ? no restore points either

just learning 21:53 07 Sep 2007

I have avg antispyware avg antivirus and after advice on the forum downloaded spybot . Couple of questions if anyone can help dont know if there related or not really . First question is related to spybot when I run it the system crashes halfway through running it Ive tried several times and the screen just goes black ! Can anyone tell me why this is happening . Second question is that if I go to system restiore there are no restore points other than todays date whci I can choose I had a look at restore settings and it is set to max space use for restore ! Is this because my system has avirus because I read that the restore function won't work if there is one ?
advice appreciated

VoG II 22:23 07 Sep 2007

Which version of Windows do you have?

just learning 22:36 07 Sep 2007

Hi its windows service pack professional 2002 sp2
It was already installed when I bought the laptop which is an advent 7056 but I didnt get a disc with it.

[email protected] 23:12 07 Sep 2007

ref spybot crashing
click here

just learning 23:26 07 Sep 2007

Hi raven I think it is maybe overheating as i have had problems shutting down when other are running as well . It is a pentium 4 processer though which is mentioned a lot in those articles.
Could I just hoover the fan do you reckon?

[email protected] 23:37 07 Sep 2007

have you had a look inside? is it dusty/fans clogged?

give it a blast with compressed air,its up to you if you want to use the hoover but be careful,loosen with a paintbrush first.

ive also a pentium 4,but no crashing.try and reduce the amount of programs running at the same time.

just learning 00:01 08 Sep 2007

I haven't had alook inside wouldn't really know what I,m looking at too be perfectly honest ! It does get really hot though underneath when its been on for an hour or so so I suspect thats the problem . I will reduce the number of programs and get my son to have alook when he comes down this weekend . I will post back when hes done it and let you know if its resolved. Thanks for your help. You havent any ideas about the restore function have you or lack off I should say ?

[email protected] 00:28 08 Sep 2007

sorry not 100% sure,but if restore points have gone as far as i know thats it they are lost.
As for virus/spyware they can lurk in system restore.if you have only got todays system point to return to,turn system restore off then back on again.
then scan with your anti virus and anti spyware programs,for peace of mind.
you may want to get second opinion on this if you are not in any rush.

just learning 01:50 08 Sep 2007

Thanks raven done all of that now . have to wait and see re the fan till my son comes down . will post asap whether its resolved once clean Help was appreciated very much .

just learning 12:48 11 Sep 2007

hi thanks raven yep the problem was the fan needed cleaning all resolved now thanks very much for yopur help

WhoWhu 05:41 03 Mar 2008

I have windows XP pro (SP2) on a 2300 hz AMD processor. I have 3 fans due to comments I heard about AMDs running hot. They all work. Positioned back, side and top(kinda noisy though). The tower is in a good place with sufficient temp/ circulation regulation.

Occasionally, FireFox 7.02 and the Windows media player will shut down with a window showing an error message. Its these 3 items that crash. This has been going on for some time. I just downloaded CCleaner from CNET which has decreased the occurrence of crashes. But the tosser still crashes.

I run AVG, Ad-Ware 07, Spy Blaster Zone Alarm with current downloads.

Comments/fixes?

WW

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?