Spybot S&D, Avenue,A Inc. and browsing Hotmail.

joelmb 10:37 24 Mar 2004

Hi. I have Spybot s&d installed, and everytime I try to browse certain well known sites, for example, hotmail, where all my pca forum mail comes to, I get an alert that Spybot has detected

'You want to download "Avenue,A Inc." This is a known threat. Do you want to download BLOCK software?'

Every time I have to click Yes, and every time consequently I go to a new email the same alert pops up. Its very irritating! I've assumed it isn't really a threat as before installing Spybot I never had any problems with viewing ads in hotmail, so I go into Spybot and exclude Avenue,A Inc. from scans. It doesnt take any notice however of this and still alerts me! Can someone tell me a./ how I can permanently ban it or b./ permanently allow it in Spybot???

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 10:41 24 Mar 2004

You can clcik no and it shouldnt matter,but you can turn it of in spybot by going to i think the online/immunise part and uninstalling block bad downloads bit but then it leaves you open for other nastys i havent had that alert for ages in spybot.

Regards.

joelmb 10:41 24 Mar 2004

I just noticed that when I delete all the email in my hotmail inbox that the alert ceases to come up which makes me wonder if its actually a particular email Im receiving that holds the threat. Is this possible, without opening email that it is detecting it?

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 10:42 24 Mar 2004

P.S try setting it to block downloads silenty befor you uninstall.

Regards.

joelmb 11:32 24 Mar 2004

Phew! Thanks, that worked what a relief!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?