Spybot S&D

Cal 11:56 04 Feb 2008

When I launch Spybot (to bring up control panel) my CPU usage stays at 100% for over a minute obviously causing the system to hang. It will eventually run but why is it taking so long? I've uninstalled and reinstalled - no difference. Running lastest version 1.5.2 with updates on XP.
Spybot is also giving me problems regarding accessing BMW.co.uk approved car site as it won't accept cookies from ad.uk.doubleclick.net......
even if i tell it to accept them.
Any suggestions appreciated.

howard64 12:34 04 Feb 2008

could be a bit of spywear has got in and stopping the prog working. Try going to trend micro and running their free scan.

birdface 14:31 04 Feb 2008

Thats why i dumped it.it was using almost 100% of my CPU most of the time.Fair enough my computer is getting past its sell by date,But Spybot just slowed everything else down while using it.And I was using PCA on it only.

Cal 15:06 04 Feb 2008

No spyware present, I'm quite vigilent in that regard.
My PC isn't that old so I can't really lay the blame there.
As I say, when I launch SB my system hangs for about a minute before the program runs.
I do not have this problem with any other program just SB.

howard64 17:07 04 Feb 2008

I believe spybot has a users forum which may be able to help

emcyes 17:48 04 Feb 2008

Yes,Spybot behaves peculiarly and this problem even i faced a week back and my pc is normal after i uninstalled spybot S&D. Also scanning my pc with spybot was not helpful to me either.
Just try uninstalling before restoring back the files that were tracked by Spybot s&d.

dagwoood 19:57 04 Feb 2008

I experienced this type of slow down with v1.5.1 but version 1.5.2 should've stopped this type of behavior.

I would do as has been suggested, uninstall Spybot via Add/Remove. Then navigate to your programs directory ( C:\Program Files ) and delete the Spybot folder. Then, making sure you have show hidden files enabled, delete the remaining Spybot folder found in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data

After doing the above, then reinstall version v1.5.2.

peter99co 20:25 04 Feb 2008

You should enter search in this forum for doubleclick and read the thread contents before accepting cookies...

Cal 21:04 04 Feb 2008

Thanks all especially dagwood.
I followed your suggestion and deleted SpyBot from the *application data folder*.
All problems sorted - no hanging, no problem with site access or *doubleclick*.
Very grateful thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?