Spybot, firefox, windows music crashing....

WhoWhu 06:09 03 Mar 2008

This may be redundant----------

I have windows XP pro (SP2) on an AMD 2300. I have 3 fans back, side and front in working order. Tower is place low with suitable temp & air ventilation. System is about 3 years old.

I run AVG, Ad Ware o7. Spy Blaster and Zone Alarm
firewall. All are current on downloads and scans. FireFox was 7.02 but I updated today with no change in crashes. I downloaded CCleaner from CNET which decreased crashes.

Intermittently I blow the dust out, make a visual inspection. There are times when the system does NOT boot and cycles in attempts to do so. Occasionally, I'll get the BIOS page with a prompt to check for processor to be set to at least 333. (WTF?) I shut the bastar.. off for an hour and come back, it usually boots but with the menu of where/ how to start. Usually I spend 1-2 hours online. FireFox has shut down in 15 mins of use.

I have 4GB of downloaded music and use my computer for email and news. The music will play for at least 3 hours and rarely crashes - but does. No gaming or memory intensive programs.

I am a beginner.

WW

Diodorus Siculus 08:09 03 Mar 2008

A repair install of XP may help; I'm not sure that overheating is the immediate cause of your problems.

click here for a guide.

I'm not sure what version of FireFox you have - the latest is 2.0.0.12

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?