Spybot and DSO Exploit Findings?

albu 15:42 25 Aug 2004

Everytime I run Spybot_ search and destroy v.1.3 I find 5 DSO Exploits. I click the fix problem button but they keep re-appearing when I run spybot. They show as:
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current version\Internet settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3

HKEY_USERS/S-1-5-21-1417001333-1078145449-1957994488-1004\Software etc as 1st example.

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20\Software etc as 1st example.

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-19\Software etc as 1st example.

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software etc as 1st example.

Are these anything to worry about? I also have spyware blaster and adaware installed, adaware fails to pick up these DSO exploit entries.

Running Win XP Home.

Any advice please?

Many thanks
albu

iambeavis 16:12 25 Aug 2004

Download - click here

hugh-265156 16:25 25 Aug 2004

make sure windows is all up to date and get anything listed as critical or security related from click here then configure spybot not to look for dso exploits as the ms patches will fix this flaw for you. its a bug in the spybot software i believe and it has not been fixed yet. i may be wrong though.

dagwoood 16:30 25 Aug 2004

Albu, this is a known bug with Spybot. As long as Windows is up to date with regards to critical updates, then your system is protected against DSO exploits(as safe as windows can be ;-) ).

If you search for DSO exploits on this site, you'll find a lot of threads with regards to Spybot finding this. They're a possible "back door" way for someone to gain access to your system. If your all updated, then it's nothing to worry about.

Hope this helps, dagwoood.

dagwoood 16:31 25 Aug 2004

Didn't refresh. DOH! huggyg71 beat me to it.

dagwoood.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:29 25 Aug 2004

Run DSostop, exploits will drop from 5 to 4 when scanned with Spybot. Your comp is now safe.

To stop then from showing up every time you scan.

In spybot click on settings - ignore products - scroll down to DSO Exploits and tick the box.

Next timeyou scan ithey will not show up.

/\0/\

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?