Spy Protector Antivirus Scareware/Rogue Antivirus

kidda123 22:12 06 Jan 2009

Hi All,

I have a friend who is not completely PC savvy and has downloaded a rogue antivirus program called 'Spy Protector'

The program has stopped her running any antivirus programs, getting any updates from windows or downloading the malicious software removal tool. It also will not allow access to the CD/DVD drive.

I'm no expert myself so we are totally stuffed. I realise that we are going to have to seek out the processes and find the files and so on but can anyone give me clear instruction on how to get rid of this?

Cheers All.

Technotiger 22:22 06 Jan 2009

Try starting the computer in Safe mode, if it is a desktop PC, keep tapping F8 on a re-start. If Safe mode can be accessed try a System Restore back to before the rogue program was installed, assuming XP.

kidda123 22:30 06 Jan 2009

It won't let us into safe mode. I have tried system restore but no good.

User-1229748 22:32 06 Jan 2009

found this scroll down to automatic removalclick here

User-1229748 22:34 06 Jan 2009

sorry never saw your last post about safe mode

Belatucadrus 22:36 06 Jan 2009

Also try running this click here if not transferable via CD then perhaps a copy running from a USB key ?
Another couple that may be able to circumvent any restrictions imposed by SpyProtector are Norman Malware Cleaner click here that is best run in safemode. Or Dr Web LiveCD click here this ones a bit odd in that you download the program as an .iso file, then burn it to CD and use it to boot up from.

kidda123 22:48 06 Jan 2009

I have printed out the step by step removal info from the link provided by smackheadz and buy a usb stick and see if I can run a removal tool from that.

Cheers Belatucadrus, Smackheadz and Technotiger.

User-1229748 22:56 06 Jan 2009

i would try belatucadrus suggestions first,good luck.

kidda123 15:09 07 Jan 2009

Hi,

Following on from last nights suggestions, can someone advise me how to convert the ISO file into a bootable cd?

Many Thanks.

brundle 15:19 07 Jan 2009

Use ImgBurn, insert blank CD or CDRW and choose "Write image file to disc", then locate your downloaded .ISO file with the file requester. click here

kidda123 15:38 07 Jan 2009

Cheers, free software as well!!

Seems simple enough, I'll give it a blast.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires