Spurious drop out on LAN

jimlad2407 14:43 26 Dec 2008

HI,
Running XP3 SP3, Yukon Gigabit ethernet controllers (2 - one connected to DLink DSL 300g for Broadband access via BT Broadband, other connected to Netgear 8 port 10/100T hub FS108 to link to 2 other pc's and a printer via hardwired 4 twisted paired (8 cables)).
Other pcs have Intel Pro100E ethernet adaptors.
Have run diagnostics on all three pc to ensure adaptors working correctly. Have tested all cables for correct connectivity - all ok.
Network wizard run on all computers sucessfully.

Problem is that from the other pcs a download can be started - and it starts at around 400kb/s and then it drop to nothing after about 30 seconds and the download crashes with an "unable to connect" or "server timeout" after about a minute.
A download can be restarted, and it kicks off again at about 400kb/s then drops out after 30 seconds to nil, and activity stops.

Zonealarm Pro 8, Sophos AVG, DHCP enabled apart from 2nd controller which is set at 192.168.0.1.
I have been tearing my hair out to try to establish why the downloads drop out, and can find no hardware problems, and cannot think of a software issue.

Can anybody help me??
Much appreciated
jimlad2407

ambra4 20:56 26 Dec 2008

Is this what you have connected to the BT broadband service D-Link DSL 300G+ DSL modem

External - 8 Mbps - Ethernet - Wired

Dlink DSL 300g, is the wrong type of modem, as it do not support PPPoA take a read on this site

click here

What you need is a D-Link Wireless G ADSL2+ Modem Router, which will connect to BT

broadband service via the phone line

You than connect the 2 Yukon Gigabit Ethernet controllers to port 1 & 2 on the router

And Connect the Netgear 8 port 10/100T hub to port 3 on the router

click here

jimlad2407 11:28 27 Dec 2008

HI Ambra
My dsl 300g+ is running PPPOA in llc mode with no problems. I can download directly to the main computer, wih 450-500 kbps. The problem is the internal lan connection to the internet, which will start up at 450/500 kbps then drop out after about 30 seconds.
Cheers

James

ambra4 11:46 27 Dec 2008

ok it a 300g+

If you remove the hub and connect a pc to the cable from the router is the same thing happening

jimlad2407 16:14 27 Dec 2008

Hi Ambra,
When I connect the DSL 300g directly to another pc, (after major reconfiguring due to MAC addresses!) the other PC downloads at 400kbps no problem.
However, when I reconnect the lan back up as it was, downloading disappears after 30 seconds.
I am wondering if it a "fault" in ZoneAlarm Pro with Windows XP SP3 as this only started recently. The lan was fine until loading the latest ZoneAlarm (8.0.059.00).
Kr

ambra4 16:40 27 Dec 2008

“(After major reconfiguring due to MAC addresses!)”

Can you not use DHCP and “Obtain an IP address automatically” and “Obtain DNS server address

automatically”

jimlad2407 16:50 27 Dec 2008

The DSL 300g+ log in uses the mac address of the computer and logs it to the username at BT Broadband.
DHCP no problem and DNS no problem (but BT use a dynamic DNS address)
Have sent query off to Zonealarm to see if they have a possible solution.
Many thanks fo ryour help so far
KR

ambra4 18:07 27 Dec 2008

Uninstall zone alarm and see if it would work

I don't use any third party firewall as I find it not needed most ISP, windows, routers, all have

Firewall so why install a third party firewall that might cause problems

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?