splitting tracks in Audacity

al's left peg 22:50 28 Apr 2009

Hi Guys I wonder if anyone can help me with this?

I have recently got hold of some music from a local band that I followed years ago but never had any recordings. I now have a cd of 10 of their songs but it is all one track. My 13 year old son says he thinks a program called Audacity will allow me to cut the tracks into individual songs with their own track numbers. He says it should be easy to do but I have not got a clue how to do it.
Can anyone help please?

MAJ 23:05 28 Apr 2009

Load a copy of the file into Audacity, locate the end of the first song (by listening to it), ightlight the remaining waveform and delete it. That will leave you with just the first track showing, save that with the track's name, in whichever format you wish (usually mp3).
Load the copy of the 10-song file again, locate the start of the second track, highlight the waveform before that point and delete it. Locate the end of track two, highlight the waveform after that point and delete it. That will leave you with track two, name and save it as with track one.
Continue on in that way until you have all the tracks isolated and saved.

Tim1964 23:12 28 Apr 2009

When you load the track into Audacity you will see 2 rows of the 'sound' in visual form. One is the left side the other the right.

Along the top is a timeline that can be expanded to show more detail. If you click on the start of the track and click the 'PLAY' button (at the top) the track will start playing. The cursor to start/stop playing can be selected at any point of the track. Once you have found the start and end of each track you click and drag to select the whole song and right click and 'save as' and give it a name.
With Audacity you can also edit out and hiss/crackles etc and adjust the levels to even them out.

The best bet is to install it and have a play. Remember to mess around with a copy of the original track just in case !!

al's left peg 23:12 28 Apr 2009

Cheers MAJ

Will give that a go tomorrow when I get in from work.

Tim1964 23:12 28 Apr 2009

Must learn to type faster :D

al's left peg 23:14 28 Apr 2009

Thanks Tim,

Will try tommorrow and see how I get on, I will definately use a copy I have looked for ten years for these tracks and had given up on ever getting hold of them.

johnincrete 14:08 29 Apr 2009

I use WavePad, originally free download but purchased because it's so good. Click here click here
You can position the cursor at the end of a track and click "Spilt at this point" icon and then save as Trk 01 etc. I do it at least 3 times per week. Do remember to put the zero before 1-9 to avoid track 11 coming before track 2. I often follow up with Switch to convert to mp3. Slice from NCH lets you auto split into same length chunks - useful for splitting an hour-long speech but not music.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires