Split laptop screen!

Ziggymoon 11:17 11 Oct 2009

Hi, I have a fairly new HP laptop with windows vista. For a few days now the screen appears to be split with a horizontal line going across about 2/3 down the screen, with the section under the line a slightly dfferent colour to the section above. Typing on word is also affected as the words sometimes seem slightly compressed as they cross this line.

I'm not sure what to do to resolve this and would greatly appreciate any advice!

birdface 11:53 11 Oct 2009

Maybe a graphics driver update might help.

Ziggymoon 12:02 11 Oct 2009

Thanks for the advice, however, I have checked and the drivers are up to date. I have also checked that the laptop is running to native resolution from the NVidea panel (from main screen). Does anyone have any other ideas I could try?

Ziggymoon 13:08 11 Oct 2009

Actually, when I look again there are lots of very thin lines running horizontally across the bottom 1/3 of the laptop screen. Restarting doesn't seem to help either. Any other ideas? Any help greatly appreciated!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:22 11 Oct 2009

Uninstall and reinstall the graphics driver.

Ziggymoon 14:56 11 Oct 2009

I just uninstalled and reinstalled the graphics driver but the thin lines across the screen are still there. Can this be screen damage caused by a power surge- for example pluging in the power lead direct to the laptop without turning off the power to the wall before connecting? Is there anything else I could try to resolve this?

mooly 15:07 11 Oct 2009

Try starting in safe mode by pressing F8 at boot up. That will cause a generic driver to be loaded. See if the lines are still there.
Or try just pressing F2 (usuallY to enter the BIOS at boot up and again see if lines on screen.
tbh it sounds more like a hardware fault.

EARLR 10:09 14 Oct 2009

might be the back light.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?