Spilled Juice on Dell Laptop

chays 13:19 15 Sep 2006

Hi I accidentally spilled some juice on my Dell laptop and now it does not power up again.Its just plain 'Dead'

Any ideas what to do to get it back working?Could it be the Motherboard is dead?

If so can I get my data from the Hard Drive(Maybe install it as a secondary Drive on my desktop

Cheers

rawprawn 13:26 15 Sep 2006

Leave it to dry for 24 hours, if it wasn't "thick juice" you may be lucky.

Diemmess 13:32 15 Sep 2006

First things first!
First remove the battery

Do everything you can to drain the thing of all accessible moisture.
If you can detach the keyboard, do that as well.

Wipe, blot, and clean all sticky places.
Leave the kit in a dry warm place (upsidedown) like an airing cupboard overnight.

Then and then only try a switch on.

If the worst comes to the worst, the HD is probably OK and depending on the ease with which it can be removed from the laptop try it on a live computer as an external or slave drive.

Diemmess 13:41 15 Sep 2006

Fruit juice is sufficiently acidic to be a good electrolyte and could wreck all sorts of otherwise separate circuits.
Once dry it is no longer dangerous, but the sugary residue will gum things up like sticking keys.

If the laptop can be made to work again, it would be worthwhile more serious cleaning and washing, but if you don't feel competant then "take it to your dealer"

EARLR 14:15 15 Sep 2006

If all else fails try Dell's warranty or home insurance.
Targa (LIDL) has a 3 year warranty I know because I did something similar with coke. They replaced the motherboard free of charge including home pickup and delivery.
Good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone