Spell checker in Windows Mail

segdef 09:19 11 Nov 2008

Just got a Vista laptop with Windows Mail. All seems fine except the spell checker is in US English. I've tried the clicking on a different language and then back on English but this hasn't changed it. Any suggestions?

Sea Urchin 10:12 11 Nov 2008

Officially you cannot do this with Windows Mail, but there is a way of achieving it.

Hit WindowsKey+E to open Explorer - then navigate to C\Program Files\Windows Live\Mail\Proof\prf0009\click on 2\ in right-hand pane double click Spell which opens Notepad. Change value of Lang= from 1033 to 2054. Close Notepad and confirm change - close Explorer. That's it.

The Dictionary listing in Windows Mail will still say US English, but it will now be spellchecking in UK English.

Sea Urchin 10:21 11 Nov 2008

POSTSCRIPT

It should be Lang=2057 (not 2054) Apologies

segdef 17:31 11 Nov 2008

Thanks for that however in my 'programme files' I don't have a 'windows live' or 'windows live mail' folder. I have a 'windows mail' folder which doesn't contain a 'proof' or anything like it. Help?

Sea Urchin 18:19 11 Nov 2008

.....sorry about that - I have of course given you the method for Windows Live Mail. The only way suggested by Microsoft for Windows Mail is to add the "English" words to the directory as you go - a long and tedious process, and it will then accept US and UK spelling! But they also suggest switching to Windows Live Mail

click here

segdef 19:26 11 Nov 2008

Thanks Mr Urchin,

I think I'll stick with the basic mail - I've checked it out and I can't really see any major advantages. Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone