Spell checker problem ?

jarani 00:35 06 Sep 2008

I am with Orange for my sins and get lots of spam in French each day which I religiously delete en mass 2 or 3 times a day without ever reading any since I don't know French

about a week ago my faithful spell checker in OE stopped working on emails not recognising any English words - I checked today only to find that the default language is now French without any alternatives listed so that I cannot change it back to English of any persuasion : UK, US or Can

It must have been introduced by some form of malicious virus

How can I change it back to English ?
My spell checker in IE which is ieSpell works perfectly --------- please help

rdave13 00:59 06 Sep 2008

I'd honestly click this thread as closed and try again with a heading such as 'Outlook Express corrupted to French'. Or something similar as original title doesn't seem relevant somehow as to the problem. Might get more pertinent responses.

lotvic 01:15 06 Sep 2008

it usually happens after installing Office 2007 click here

octal 07:43 06 Sep 2008

You might be able to install a standalone program like this one click here which doesn't depend on any other application for its spellchecker.

jarani 09:01 06 Sep 2008

lotvic - it does coincide with downloading of the Office 2007 - it would have never occurred to me - the ? now is how to solve the problem - thank you and others for the input so far - jarani

lotvic 11:22 06 Sep 2008

If you have your office 2000 or 2003 disk you can install spell checker from that. Here's how from another pca thread click here

jarani 17:05 06 Sep 2008

lotvic - many thanks for your last link - it worked for me too like a dream - that is the value of this forum - jarani

lotvic 19:04 06 Sep 2008

Glad it's sorted :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?