speedyPC

Pathologist 18:20 20 Feb 2010

My PC today 'lost' its ability to use System Restore. Before then it had started to take an age to boot up. I think that I've lost a systems file but, since the restore facility doesn't work, I can't go back to a setting when it did. It's been suggested to me that I use speedyPC to clean up my files - the program says that I have 1238 registry problems. This is in spite of regularly using ccCleaner over the past year or so and never having had any problems with it.
Thus, I'm somewhat suspicious of the speedyPC error message. Can the program be trusted?

birdface 20:23 20 Feb 2010

sounds a bit suspicious to me.
I would leave it alone and maybe download Malwarebytes free version and give that a run to see if it finds anything.

birdface 20:25 20 Feb 2010

Also try System restore in safe mode to see if it works on there.

Pathologist 13:19 21 Feb 2010

Thanks for your responses. I didn't trust speedyPC and I've now deleted it. I'll give both the Safe mode and Malwarebytes a go if the first of these doesn't work.
In the meantime I get boot up message about a file that can't be opened. This is then followed by a Notepad window which reads;
[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21787
Does this shed any light on things?
Thanks.

User-1229748 14:17 21 Feb 2010

found this click here

User-1229748 14:20 21 Feb 2010

that fix is for xp so if you aren't running xp you may want to wait for another forum members advice as to whether to go ahead.

Pathologist 14:57 21 Feb 2010

I do run XP and your fix worked a treat for that annoying start up message! Thanks. However, I still have to resolve the Systems Restore problem.
I'll try the solutions suggested earlier.

Pathologist 10:59 12 Mar 2010

I haven't managed to fix my Systems Restore problem. Trying some of the solutions mentioned before, ie running compmgmt.msc and clicking through to the Systems Restore entry bought up an error message which reads. "Error 1392. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable." I can't find any help for this on the Microsoft site. Additionally, I find that I can't get into Safe Mode. The screen freezes at about the second list of files.
Any ideas? Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:45 12 Mar 2010

Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

Pathologist 14:14 14 Mar 2010

Thanks for your helpful reply. I tried the sfc /scannow suggestion. I was asked repeatedly to insert my Windows XP Pro disk, which I'd already done. Each time an error message said:
"Possible reasons for this problem:
* You have inserted the wrong CD (i.e., a different Windows product CD other than the version installed)
* The CD-ROM drive in your system is not functioning."
If I clicked on the Repeat button at each prompt then the blue bar continued to advance to the end and my screen returned to the desktop. The System Restore still failed to work, even after a re-boot.
My Windows CD is the one used to install the OS which has been regularly updated by Microsoft (I had already installed SP2 and SP3 myself). The drive is functioning normally.
In your post you gave a link to a help site about sfc/ scannow. This suggested a way of avoiding the need to use the CD by unchecking the 'hide protected operating system files'. I've done this, but I still get multiple requests for the CD when I run sfc /scannow.
I tied to re-install Windows but I get the message that the OS on my machine is newer than the one on the CD. If I delete my computer's OS, then I'll lose all my files, not something that I want to do!
Incidentally, apart from the System Restore problem and the inability to get into Safe Mode, my computer works very well.
I'm at a loss.

Press Man 10:46 15 Mar 2010

Pathologist,

Possibly the reason for the error message of "wrong CD" is because you have SP2 & SP3 installed which your original CD does not have? If I were you I would copy/back up all my files to another drive or to cd and re-load the OS and other programmes. This is sometimes quicker than trying to fix/repair what you have. I would also invest in a back up programme such as Acronis (if you have not already done so)so once you have re-installed your OS and all required programmes you can take an image of the newly installed system for the future. I would also put my files/documents on a seperate partion or hard drive for relative safety. Use the C partion only for the OS and programmes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone