SpeedUpMYPC (Uniblue)

Creditman 18:14 29 Mar 2007

This program has been recommended to me & costs about $30. Can anyone offer any opinion ? Is it worth buying ? Many thanks

birdface 18:22 29 Mar 2007

Try this one ,Free for a month,You can only delete 10 items at a time,buy you can run it as often as you like.click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:29 29 Mar 2007

Is it worth buying ?
NO

You can get free programs to speed up your PC if it is running slow.

a) Clear out all temporay files and folders -- use Crap Cleaner click here

b) Scan for malware spyware and viruses --Free Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here
a2 click here
Windows Defender click here

Free Antivirus software
Avast4 click here
or
AVG antivirus click here

c) Clean the registry -- Free Registry cleaners :-
RegscrubXP click here
Regseeker click here
TweakNow RegCleaner 1.3.2 click here
Easycleaner click here ( Use with care, It advises you to back up the registry first, this is a good idea as it cleans rather aggressively. )

d) Pagefile (Virtual Memory) -- Rght click MY Computer - select propeties - Advanced tab - Performance - advanced tab - Virtual memory click change, you can put the page file on a differnt drive (if you have one), click custom size and set Initial size to one and a half times the amount of memory you have fitted i.e. 512MB memory = set to 768MB, set maximum to double your memory amount i.e. 512MB memory = 1024MB click ok.
If your hard drive is full and there is not enough room for the pagefile this can slow down, freeze or even cause the PC to crash (restart).

e) Cut down on the programs that load at startup -- Start - Run type msconfig - startup tab- untick everything except for firewall, antivirus and antispyware

and the services that run in the background. click here

Creditman 21:33 29 Mar 2007

buteman & Fruitbat - many thanks for your advice. I already have Adaware,Crapcleaner,Zonealarm & NAV but my PC alternates between normal fast service & incredibly slow which leads into programmes not responding & I have no option but to shut down via TaskManager. Recently I get messages saying my virtual memory is too low. I checked this & 380mb (against 379mb recommended)is allocated against 256mb ram -about 1.5 times which I believe is about maximum. I intend to double the memory to 512mb & hope this will improve matters. But since I am only using 11gb out of a total of 38gb, space is not a problem! If you have any other suggestions I'd love to see them ! Thanks again.

Creditman 21:42 29 Mar 2007

I must add that I lost my internet connection this evening (but not email). NTL support were very helpful & led me thru a battery of tests including disabling Zonealarm & NAV. The end result was that they said my Zonealarm firewall must be corrupted which was preventing the connection & that I should uninstall it & install Virgin Media's PCGuard programme. However since that phone-call I have enabled Zonealarm (just to try ) & connected to Internet ok ! So I am left rather bewildered - but with everything working at present. Thanks. PS Is PCGuard any good ?

birdface 07:28 30 Mar 2007

I am with NTL but use Avg-Anti Virus and Spyware and Kerio Firewall,Your NAV I take it is short for Norton Anti-Virus.I used to get a lot of problems with Norton and thats why I shifted to AVG,I used to use Ntl's set up I think it was called Netguard or something like that,So i asked the same Question as you,And never got any resonse,All I was told was why not try Avg its far better,So now quite happy with Avg and never had any problems with it,

birdface 13:15 30 Mar 2007

Try that click here that I sent you,It really speeds your computer up a lot,

Creditman 21:22 30 Mar 2007

buteman & Fruitbat - Thanks again fr your advice. Have now doubled my RAM with immediate increase of speed, & I plan to replace NAV with AVG when my NAV comes up for renewal next month. I still have a concern about how well AVG works with Zonealarm (free v.7...)but must give it a try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?